A Surprise Success Story

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

A Surprise Success Story

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:33 pm

Evidently, I've survived a Z-pak without C. diff. when I had pneumonia in November after returning from a trip to the UK.

No one was more surprised than I was since I am at high risk of developing C. diff. again. I had it for four years (l993-l997) initially after an initial couse of Vantin for a sinus infection that developed into pneumonia & then other infections. A second application of "the broth" (See Doctors - Dr. Mark Allen - KC) finally worked. (I'd been to Mayo Clinic & the U. of Michican Medical Center, was on a blind study & then compassionate usage for Florastore --then S. boulardii -- & then Lact. GG -- now Culturelle --on compassionate usage for years. I contacted every C. diff. expert I could find. My "cure" was in my own city although it didn't work the first time & I allowed other docs. to talk me out of having it again until 3 years later.

I was C. diff. free (altho. I had IBS) for 2 years until l999 & my next bout of pneumonia, another hospitalization, & "the broth" again -- which worked the first time. (Even the highest dosage of Vanco. didn't work although the doc. started me on it with Levaquin.)

In November, my pulmo. wanted to put me on Avalox -- related to Levaquin. I refused & asked about a Zpak since my son had tolerated one. (He had C. diff. twice: l979 & again about 6 yrs. later.) Z-pak is considered a "middle-of-road" offender (see FAQ-Antibiotics). You take it for 5 days but it stays in your body for another 5 -- thus avoiding another 5 days of the oral route.

C. diff. seems to have left me with various health issues although some could be related to age & genetics. I do have IBS & am sure this is C. diff. related as I previously had a "cast iron" stomach.

Have no idea why I didn't develop C. diff. this time. Could have been:
(l) 6 years had elapsed since last antibiotic
(2) type of antibiotic -- altho. any antibiotic can be implicated in C. diff.; my niece (not genetically related) developed it after a Zpak
(3) took a probiotic although I've used them in the past without any luck. I tried VSL3 - expensive. I've contacted the product rep. many times tryng to get a discount for site members without luck. They do ship immediately & on ice. Others have tried it without luck.

Go figure! I'm relieved!

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Hurray, Bobbie!! I am sooo glad for you!!! That is terrific!

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Way to go Bobbie!! I'm sure that is a huge relieve. I know I will be scared when and if I ever have to take an antibiotic! Congrats!! :)

supersmurf
Contributor

Postby supersmurf » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:15 am

Way to go Bobbie!!
So glad you don't have to have another go around with the beast again.
Best wishes for continued good health.
Supersmurf

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:55 pm

Congrats Bobbie!!

Did you start counting the day you finished the antibiotic or 10 days after? Just wondering cause I know it stays in your body for 10 days and I just finished Azithromyacin. Took it for 4 days instead of the five and have been off for 4 weeks but dont know if I should start the count later since it stays in your body longer. I also took my probiotic and still do. Again congrats!!

prairierose
Contributor

Postby prairierose » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:43 pm

Hi Bobbie,
Congrats! It gives C Diff survivors something to cling to if and when we need another antibiotic!

My Mom (who is 59) just ended a Z pak also for pneumonia, and I gave her Culturelle to take while on it. She's fine (thank goodness).
I am the Probiotic Fairy in my family! My sister's little boy (11 months) also needed two antibiotics, one of which was the dreaded Amoxicillin, and I had her give hime Culturelle as well. He's doing fine as well.

Anyways, you have dealt with enough. You don't need more C diff!

All the best,
Prairierose
Cdiff 1 year. Flagyl then MANY rounds of Vanco with Questran/ Rifampin/Fusidin. Finally two Fecal transplants and currently 13 months C Diff free! :)

Tammy
Contributor

Postby Tammy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:21 am

Im so glad everything turned out ok,this is a tough disease.
Tammy

Return to “Success Stories”