c diff "cure"

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
onelazyone
Brand New Poster

c diff "cure"

Postby onelazyone » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:34 pm

I contracted c diff in 2003 after taking clyndimicin (sp.) for an infected tooth.. i didn't know what was wrong with me..thought i was going to die.. after extensive web research i determined that i had c diff.. had no insurance and am suspicious of drs. anyway... i couldn't leave the house for a solid month due to my completely unpredictable unannouced diarhea that came constantly all day and all night (it was a weird orange color and smelled very weird too, not like normal diarhea).. i lost 15 lbs. in the first 9 days i was sick.. i couldn't eat anything really.. i tried florastor and lactobaccilus and some of the other stuff mentioned (i forget now all the stuff i tried)... but i kept coming across something called bio k plus.. finally i ordered it..not sure how long i had been sick at that point i would have to look back over my notes, but i know i was feeling pretty helpless and hopeless by then.. i couldn't work at all, couldn't go anywhere that wasn't super close to home and then only for a few minutes really.. like to run up to the store for yogurt... at this point i could only eat yogurt (Plain with honey) and a little rice, scrambled eggs etc.. but i was still doing pretty badly.. but i had also found out about the SCD (specific carbohydrate diet) and i started that somewhere in all of this.. that seemed to help.. the first "real" food that i had about two or three weeks into this was a steak! i wanted it so badly and i hadn't eaten any solid food in weeks and i was terrified and very sceptical that this would be at all good for me or my poor stomach but finally i ate it and i felt great.. my stomach handled it perfectly.. anyway, then i got the bio k plus..i had to have my local health food store order it.. the first time i drank some of it i thought this is going to help me.. it is a small bottle of buttermilk like liquid and it has something like 50 billion live and active cultures per bottle.. i decided to take two a day...even though the directions recommended that you start out slow with like a quarter bottle a day and gradually work up to a whole one... it seemed that my case was extreme and that this bacteria that had ahold of me was very tough and it required tough measures so i started right away doing two a day and also doing the specific carb diet (not perfectly but as good as i could).. basically i had plain yogurt with honey, fruit, meat, veggies..no milk no sugar no bread or pasta or rice or potatoes.. i used olive oil and made wonderful salads and cooked up meat and al dente veggies.. with sauces... i could tell within the first couple of days that i was doing better! finally! within two weeks i was a new person (well half of a new person anyway! ::)).. i continued the bio k (which at my health food store costs about 50 dollars for 15 bottles, so it's not cheap, but alot cheaper than vancomycin! and safer in my opinion!)..... i continued it for a couple of months and the healing continued..i stayed on the SCD pretty tightly for two years.. it was hard at times but overall everytime i would try to eat carbs my stomach would react very badly and that was enough to keep me off of them.. this last year i have gradually added them back in although like an alcoholic i have a hard time controlling them when i do eat them.. so i just try to stay away from them as much as possible.. i have to say that honestly c diff was one of the best things that ever happened to me.. it was horrible while it was going on but it caused me to change from a very unhealthy way of eating to a very healthy way... my bowel movements are very healthy good looking and regular now.. before i got cdiff i am sure i was already messed up inside cuz my bm's did NOT look good...for the first time since i was a kid i have healthy looking bms.. now my diet is the same as SCD (but as i said not as extreme as that) and i have added regular oatmeal in the mornings.. and am doing fine with that.. i thank God that this happend to me and that He showed me a way out.. i got so much info from c diff message boards (that is where i first heard about bio k plus.. )... i think the reason that my stomach gets upset with the carbs is that i must have the cdiff related colitis to a certain degree... my stomach starts to hurt and i get diarhea ...but i can also tell that overall my stomach is more healthy than it has been in years and years.. i think one of the reasons that i was so susceptible to cdiff is that i had been abusing my stomach for years with too much ibuprofen (12 a day for almost ten years due to body pain) and a TERRIBLE diet.. tons of carbs and sugar and pepsi and junk like that .. makes me sick to think of it).. anyway, hope this helps someone... i know others helped me when i was sick.. i still use the bio k plus when i am not feeling well...but that is rare anymore (i would say it took 3 years for my stomach to get relatively back to "normal"..thankfully it will never be able to tolerate large amts. of carbs..it's like God is saying you've had enough of that stuff for ten lifetimes.. time to quit )... praying that each and every one of you finds a way out of this mess called c diff and that in the long run it turns out to be something "good" for you as well.. hugs...
kit

puremess
Regular Contributor

Postby puremess » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:24 pm

Congratulations and hope you continue to improve everyday!

Return to “Success Stories”