Kicked C. difficile (I hope!)

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Timaca
Regular Contributor

Kicked C. difficile (I hope!)

Postby Timaca » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm

HI all~

After battling C. difficile for 11 months, I think I've kicked it. I tried high dose vanco, (500 mg tid); pulsing vanco, tapering vanco, probiotics of various kinds, including Florastor, and nothing worked. I never tried Flagyl, for I have peripheral neuropathies due to lyme and I didn't want to worsen that.

What worked was the "Rifaximin Chaser". This was 2 weeks of 250 mg vancomycin tid followed by 2 weeks of rifaximin (200 mg tid).

Today is day 72 off all medications without a relapse! Yay! And I did this while getting 2 shots of IM bicillin weekly (because I have lyme disease).

I do seem to have post infectious IBS....some cramping still and I'm also constipated. SO....lots of fiber....lots.

But, at least the C. diff seems to be gone, so I can concentrate on treating the lyme again (which unfortunately requires antibiotics!)

Thanks for everyone's support!

Timaca

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:50 pm

I am so glad to hear that you are CDiff free!!! I to have IBS thanks to cdiff. Over time you will learn to live with it. It took a while but, my IBS seems to be getting better with time. I will take IBS over cdiff any day:-) Good Luck with dealing with the lyme disease. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

And again Congrats!!!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:00 pm

Congrats, Timaca. I'm so glad you're finally over this. Job well done. Hopefully, over time your IBS will clear as well. It sure beats c-diff, though. Hang in there and keep us posted as to your continued healing.

Christina

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:03 pm

Congrats also from me. Maybe soon you'll also kick the Lyme disease too. I too have the IBS from the c-diff and yes it beats c-diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:12 pm

Timaca,
Congrats. on "beating the beast." Thx. for posting what worked for you. Now, you can concentrate on the Lyme's. IBS is not uncommon after C. diff. & could improve.

Way to go!

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Timaca,
good for you!! That is GREAT news.. One less thing for you to deal with....

65 days and counting

Timaca
Regular Contributor

Postby Timaca » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:54 am

Hi all~ I'm 88 days C. diff free and still counting. Thanks for all your support. I am beginning to (slowly) go back on oral antibiotics for the lyme disease (I'm still on IM bicillin). Wish me luck that I don't see the C. diff reappear. I'll cry if that happens!

I have a question regarding IBS. Do any of you ever get a very full and painful stomach feeling? My upper abdomen (not intestines) feels very bloated and full at times...and I can't eat. It only lasts for a day or so, but I've had it at least twice, and I really don't like it. I'm wondering if this is a IBS symptom.

Also, if you notice someone posting here that wonders if they can kick C. diff while on antibiotics, please send me a private message and I'll post my experience. I will be spending more time on the lyme boards instead of the C. diff boards...but I do want to encourage anyone with C. diff who may need it.

Thanks....Timaca

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Timaca,
Congrats. Think you are "home free." Yes, IBS can mimic C. diff. sypmtoms, including bloating. If you are still concern, however, see your GI.

We will refer anyone who still has C. diff. & needs an antibiotic for another infection to you.

Good luck with Lyme's. It's another "nasty one."

prairierose
Contributor

Postby prairierose » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:48 pm

Hi Timaca,

Congrats on being C dif free!
I too suffer from the post Infectious IBS and have lots of bloating and discomfort. It tends to come in waves and then go away.
Of course, you should check with your doc if symptoms persist or you are concerned.
Good luck to you,
Prairierose :)
Cdiff 1 year. Flagyl then MANY rounds of Vanco with Questran/ Rifampin/Fusidin. Finally two Fecal transplants and currently 13 months C Diff free! :)

Return to “Success Stories”