Mssaint's Success Story

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Lauren
Administrator

Mssaint's Success Story

Postby Lauren » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Moved from another section, posted by mssaint:

I contracted c-diff in September of 2005 and went thru 7 refills of Flagyl -- every time I stopped the Flagyl, I relapsed within 3 days. I changed drs and my new GI did a very slow taper off Flagyl along with the Vanco capsules for the first month, and then continued a slow taper off the Vanco over a period of 9 months -- from January, 2006 thru Sept 30, 2006, and so far, I feel great and have had no c-diff symptoms since coming off the Vanco. I can eat everything with no problems now. I feel as though I have my life back. Last year was just so miserable, as you all know. Thank goodness for this support group. I feel that I am a success story because of the slow taper from the Vanco, and this dr. really knew his stuff. (10,000 cases of c-diff in NJ in 2005!)

Here is the Vanco schedule I followed. It took a month to taper off the Flagyl and I took the Vanco along with the Flagyl for one month:
January 250mg Vanco 4xdaily along with flagyl til end of January
February 250mg Vanco 3xdaily - Feb 20th Vanco 2xdaily
March 125mg Vanco 1x daily
April 125mg Vanco 1 every other day
May 125mg Vanco 1 every other day
June 125mg Vanco twice a week
July 125mg Vanco once a week
August 125mg Vanco once every 10 days
September 125mg Vanco every 15 days -- stopped Vanco Sept 30th
Note: Took 2 each Florastor, Flora-Q, Culturelle 2x daily during this time, then tapered to 1 Florastor, 1 Culturelle, and 1 Digestive Advantage 1x daily. I'm still taking the probiotics and will continue for the next 6 months, as recommended.

mssaint
New User

Postby mssaint » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:27 pm

I tried to edit my success story, but couldn't -- so I'll post a reply to my own story. I said I had c-diff -- it was really pseudomembranous colitis -- the worst kind -- with Toxins A&B -- so it's even more wonderful that I'm still ok after being off the Vanco since September 30th. Got thru the Christmas holidays -- did not even take my extra Vanco with me when I traveled! I think I'm cured! Thanks for all the help from this site.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:01 am

Congrats. mssaint.

Return to “Success Stories”