MN Stool Transplant Success

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Marry
New User

MN Stool Transplant Success

Postby Marry » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:38 pm

On October 4th 2006, after nearly one year of battling C-diff and thousands of dollars worth of antibiotics and probiotics, I went to Duluth, MN to see Dr. Rubin for the stool transplant. It was quick and painless. Now four weeks later I am C-diff free!!! Wish I knew at the beginning of this what I know now, I would have done it sooner.

This nasty stuff sure can take over a person’s life. I can’t believe how much research I had to do on my own and how much I had to fight with Doctors to get them to listen to me.

I have IBS type issues to deal with now, but it is sure nice to know that I am rid of the beast.

Good Health to everyone,

Mary

unhappystomach
Contributor

Postby unhappystomach » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:11 pm

Wow, congratulations and I wish you many years of happiness and health!

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:06 pm

Marry- consider yourself very lucky! Happy for you!
Cindy

Marry
New User

Postby Marry » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm

Thanks Cindy. I am so sorry you didn't have the same results.

I should have noted that I did finally post my case history. I was afraid to do that before I knew I was rid of the beast! It is a bit long even though I left out quite a few appointments. And it is not unlike so many other cases.

I would recommend the transplant to anyone and would do it again if, God forbid, I ever got it back. If anyone is going to go to Duluth let me know, I am only a few hours away...

Mary

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:40 am

Congrats, Marry. So glad it worked for you. I hope you continue to get stronger everyday.

I went to Duluth in June of this year and Dr. Aas did my transplant.As you said it was a very easy procedure.Painless and in and out within a hour or so. Unfortunately, I did not get good results and got very sick the next day and was positive two weeks later. I'm one of maybe 3 people that it did not work for so,according to there records they have a very good success rate. Even though it did not work for me for whatever reason (most likely due to my strain) it's worth a try for anyone suffering from c-diff who can get there. I've been offered a second try using a different donor but am going to stick with my Dr.'s advice for the time being as he doesn't recommend the stool transplant for his patients anyway.

hilldk
Regular User

Only in DUluth?

Postby hilldk » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:03 pm

I just wondered if there are other places that will do the stool transplant? I'm in Texas, so Duluth is a bit far away. I've been battling this since July, and my doctor has finally referred me to an ID doctor who I will see next week. I want to be prepared for him--he isn't the one with the constant diarhea without vancocin, so he isn't going to take me off of it without something better to replace it.

Marry
New User

Postby Marry » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Dr. Rubin mentioned that a doctor in Oregon had two patients with recurrent C-diff and wanted to know how to do the procdure so she could do it herself. I would think he would be willing to speak to other doctors who wanted to do it.

It really is very simple. After reading the paper on it, I would think most any doctor could do it. They just need to be willing too and believe in the value of it. I know I do!

Mary

dottzee
Brand New Poster

Congratulations

Postby dottzee » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:42 pm

Congratulations on your success! I am researching C. dif as my husband has it and he has been mostly in the hospital since October 2006. He came home for Christmas but is back in again. He got C. dif from the antibiotics that were used to treat his double pneumonia. His new Dr. suggested a "stool transplant" and we thought he was joking. So very glad we found your story about success with the treatment. I will be his donor. By the way we live in Ontario, Canada and our Dr. mentioned Dr. Aas. Not sure who will be doing the procedure. I will let you all know the outcome. Again Congrats on your success!

Marry
New User

Postby Marry » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I tried to send you a message, but it didn't go through. I can recieve messages and reply to them, but I can't send a new one.

Anyway...

Do you have it scheduled? In Canada or Duluth? The doctor that did mine was Dr. Rubin....very nice and the procedure was very easy.

Best of luck to you and your husband. Let us know how it goes.

Mary

Return to “Success Stories”