Sprenkle Protocol Questions

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Woman51960
Contributor

Sprenkle Protocol Questions

Postby Woman51960 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:55 am

I started doing the Protocol a week ago today. I have had some very good days, but some symptomatic days as well. Today is my sixth day on the diet and I am having a terrible day. I have been doing the primal defense caplets along with the Kefir at the same time. Should I be consuming the caplets 1 hr before drinking the kefir?

I have been struggling with continous relapses of cdiff since December. A week ago I discontinued all antibiotics and thought I would give this a try as it seems the most logical of the success stories. I also discontinued taking the Colestid the doctor prescribed. Do you think I should take the Colestids in addition to the other probiotics. Colestid is suppose to bind the toxins.

Please help me continue on this diet but with a few suggetions.

rsprenkle
New User

I know this is late but...

Postby rsprenkle » Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 am

I've been free now since September -- the antibiotics did not work (after three tries), but the protocol did... doing the protocol on antibiotics is OK, but you have to keep the protocol going well after the antibiotics are over.

To summarize
1. pick a diet that keeps the stuff flowing through your system (bran, etc.) -- you don't want to keep flushing the toxins / bugs out.

2. CDiff doesn't like acid, so anything that increases the acidity of your diet should work. I chose significant amounts of vinegar and V8

3. The probiotics help to crowd out the cdiff, so things like Kefir, yogurt, etc, help, but they do not stay around long, so you have to keep replenishing. These are often alkaline, so they counteract the acid. THat is why it is important to alternate (send probiotics in with yougurt, wait some time, then take some vinegar later (hour or so).

4. Important point my wife made: the cure comes when good anerobic bacteria is set up in your gut. You cannot easily obtain these beneficial bugs -- they are often found in dirt and a healthy colon. They don't survive when exposed to air. She said that you would normally pick this up after a few months provided you don't live in too clean of an environment. I would imagine if you are constantly washing your hands and practicing good hygene, this might take longer... she joked that I should just go eat some dirt... This is why the colon bacteria transplant probably works so well...

5. I exercise regularly -- get my pulse up and core temp up with 30-60 minutes of aerobic activity. Not sure if this was a contributing factor (especially the raising of the body temp), but it can't hurt.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 10, 2007 2:19 pm

rsprinkle,
Congrats. Thank you for posting to support others.

We should give out diplomas for those who have "graduated" from C. diff. Do try to stay away from antibiotics (if they contributed to your C. diff.).

Moderators' Note:
If you also have acid reflux (& many of us do), it might not be wise to take vinegar, but check with your doc.

I agree with the aerobic activity -- saved my sanity. I do disagree with the handwashing, however. I believe your wife is a microbiologist, isn't she? So is my son & he isn't a big believer in handwashing. Most articles, however, say good hygiene is important in stopping the spread of C. diff.
Just don't go "overboard." Wash after every bathroom visit, after returning home from shopping, etc., & before cooking. Remember my fav. saying, "Everything in moderation, noting to excess.

Again, congrats. You have won your BA (or BS might be more appropriate) in C. diff.

Return to “Success Stories”