The Sprenkle Anti-CDiff Protocol

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
WV Mom
New User

Postby WV Mom » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:57 am

A few points:

1. For you to give c-diff to someone else really is as simple as poop to mouth -- although there can be plenty of time and fomites in between.

2. It's precisely because c-diff sporulates that a major part of prevention rests squarely on the shoulders of those who would like to avoid getting it.

3. Even with logarithmic decline, you do eventually get rid of all the bugs. As my bacti professors always pointed out: You don't need to get to zero; you only need to have less than one.

But I don't mean to argue. Really. My point was only that folks with c-diff shouldn't feel like lepers or walking, talking contagiums. You just sounded so wistful when you said . . .

rsprenkle wrote:I'd love to know if I pose no further risks to anyone, but perhaps we just must assume we always will be...

I hereby appoint myself Queen of the World and say that whatever risks are posed by folks who are c-diff poz, we folks who are c-diff neg accept them without pause or alarm. :)

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:55 pm

WV Mom,

Love your reply! I know that a couple of my friends don't want to be around me because of my cdiff (and I practice good hygiene and talk up hygiene), and my sister, who recently died of cancer, didn't want me around for the same reason (being immunocompromised and on and off chemo certainly gave her reason to be concerned). So I've felt like Typhoid Mary. Your openhearted generous words of acceptance warm my heart.

I miss WV most in the spring and the fall. We've been back a lot lately because my dad died in Feb and my sister in June, and we are going to help my mom (age 93) move to assisted living before long.

I wish you and your mom all the best in what must be a tremendously difficult challenge. She is lucky to have you. Hugs!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:17 pm

WV Mom,

Hail to the Queen! I agree with your statement & your coronation. All we can do is practice good hygiene and encourage it in others. Yes, spores, can remain for a long time on surfaces, but good handwashing & keeping our hands away from our mouths (have you noticed people who are constantly "playing" with their mouths or sucking pens, etc.?) will help prevent the spread of the bacteria. We don't need to feel like lepers.

To quote Dr. Borody,"Human infection occurs through ingestion (via the mouth."

When I had active C. diff. no one (including my son who also had it twice) "got" it from me but I used good hygiene and still do. I told very few people much about the disease. First, they didn't know what it was (this was in l979 & l985 when my son had it & in l993-l997 & l999 when I had it), and second, I didn't care to share my symptoms. They don't attrack a lot of sympathy. (I like to quote the Imodium commercial, "Where were you when your Imodium ran out?") People are more open now .

You sound as though you have a scientic background. Do you? How's Mom? Glad you are keeping your sense of humor.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:21 pm

RSprenkle,
Glad you are doing well. Posted hyperlinks in FAQ-Articles (Hyperlinks) Re. C. diff. Inc. Articles by Experts

asusa
New User

rspenkle - thanks!

Postby asusa » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:34 pm

Thank you for posting your dietary program.

My gastroenterologist [who should understand this disease but obviously didn't] suggested I try Immodium, and the BRAT diet for my diarrhea even after I told him my C.diff tests were positive. My case is complicated by the chemo I am receiving which can also be 'binding.'

On Friday, I began to follow your program with half a can of cooked tomatoes and a tbsp of a.c.vinegar on a dish of shredded iceberg lettice. On Saturday and Sunday my dear happy-at-last-body was very productively shedding two weeks of BRAT diet. [I was exhausted by Sunday night - whew.]

You may very well have saved my life. Yesterday and today things are moving in a normal direction, a little better each day.

I still have a distance to go, and I doubt I will implement your entire plan just yet, but I am hopeful. Having a plan is better than not having a plan.

My tummy is happy, my hemorrhoids are happy and I am happy.

Blessing on you,

Susanne

rsprenkle
New User

Postby rsprenkle » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Glad to hear things are improving :?)

I know the probiotic labels warn to seek doctor's approval if immune compromised -- I assume that is the case under chemo.

With my first round of CDIFF, all I used was acid diet, and it seemed to improve over the course of several days - not swift, but sure.

So far, I'm feelinq 100%. I've relaxed the regimine a little, but still focus on acidity and probiotics.

I did learn some more from my wife on this -- she said that the probiotics we consume in yougurt, etc., are all aerobic bact, and have a limited life in our bowels. They do compete with CDiff, which is good, but in the end, it is good anerobic bacteria that we eventually pick up that will stay and permanently keep CDiff in check (until antibiotics or antacids ruin thing again). Perhaps this is why it takes so long to stabilize. She believed that the specific types of anerobic bact aren't well known -- this is probably why fecal infusions are used (see FAQ).

Good luck with all you are going through, and keep me informed if you can...

Rick

rsprenkle
New User

I feel cured :?)

Postby rsprenkle » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:03 pm

Well it is September, and I've returned to normal diet, although I still drink kefir on occasion because I grew fond of it :?)

So I'd have to go back and do the math, but I think it has been atleast 100 days without symptoms, so I feel cured. Did it without antibiotics on the last round -- just probiotics and acidic diet as outlined in the post.

Best to all -- this site was very helpful.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:47 am

rsprenkle,
Glad you recovered & the site was helpful. Thx. for posting to encourage others.

Return to “Success Stories”