Recovery?

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
CML
New User

Recovery?

Postby CML » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:06 am

57 F - diagnosed w c diff from Prilosec, not antibiotics, after 6 weeks of suffering, one round of Vanco which ended two weeks ago. Since then, stool lighter but solid, no stomach issues, appetite returned. Feel better than I have in months, but I’m worried it won’t last. Have read so much on here about recurrence. Can this really be over?

Forgot to add got bunch of test results on Monday. Blood work normal, C diff negative, stool culture negative for everything else, fecal calprotectin normal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery?

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:49 am

The majority of people recover after one or two rounds of antibiotic treatment for c difficile - something like 80%, so the odds are in your favor.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:13 am

Sounds like your doing well and hopefully in the clear. I’d assume that Prilosec didn’t obliterate your good guys as much as antibiotics would, which may explain why your not going through the pure hell after that many do. Seems like things are progressing nicely.

CML
New User

Postby CML » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:54 pm

D1dad wrote:
> Sounds like your doing well and hopefully in the clear. I’d assume that
> Prilosec didn’t obliterate your good guys as much as antibiotics would,
> which may explain why your not going through the pure hell after that many
> do. Seems like things are progressing nicely.

Oh fingers crossed it stays this way. One question though, I’m assuming people who are recovered at some poing get D again, for whatever reason, illness, eating something that disagreed etc. Do you worry when that happens, or at a certain point does the fear dissipate?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:02 am

After a time, the fear lessens. One day of D isn't too alarming, but when it continues, then the fear comes for me.

Return to “Success Stories”