End of week 2 diet change

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
tomb523
New User

End of week 2 diet change

Postby tomb523 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:08 am

I posted in another section that I was trying to "eat my way out" of c.diff. Because my case is mild, eating seems to be a good method not only to beat the buggers, but heal the whole gut. My diet consist of high prebiotic foods in combination with probiotic food and supplements. Under prebiotics, I used non-grain flours like green plantain, flaxseed and almonds to which I can add inulin power, chia seeds and fructooligossacharides powders. I also add chicory root to coffee at ~4:1. I make waffels with the flours mix and also add in pure cocoa powder. I also make steel cut oatmeal with chia seeds and inulin powder in my instant pot and eat it cold with either yogurt or kefir and blueberrys. I have purchased Tempeh (fermented soy) and mix it with sprouted black bean soup to make veggie burgers which are not bad and I have some other ideas in mind to try. I added swiss chard to black eyed peas and stir fried bok choy. I also purchase fermented products such as sauerkraut (kraut-dogs), kimchee and beet root. I also take a daily probiotic supplement. Another good meal are breakfast burritos with egg, black beans and sunchokes. Beth cautioned me to watch my protein which is good advice. I believe I'm getting enough from the tempeh, beans, hotdog (no nitrate/additives) cut up pork chop in soups, but I will most likely have the occasional steak, chicken or pork chop incorporated into a high prebiotic/probiotic meal. All my meat comes from butcher box and is grass fed, non-hormonal raised.

I eased into this diet as I gradually acquired the ingredients, so in reality it's been almost 3 weeks, but two weeks with pre and probiotics incorporated into every meal. I'm also trying to up my polyphenols. With c.diff, my primary symptom was diarrhea, which I had previous controlled with immodium, but even with that, every 4 days or so, I would get a bout of extreme watery bowel movements with very high sudden urgency followed by a major dehydration headache. As of today, I have not had even one in almost two full weeks and pudding poo is firmer, albeit not totally resolved and NO immodium. This week, I haven't had a sudden urgency at all and movements have diminished from 5 or 6+ times a day to 2-3. I also seem to have a bit more energy and I'm hoping that continues to improve.

I am male, 63, somewhat overweight (although I think I'm losing weight with diet), but otherwise in good health. I don't take any prescription medicine on a regular basis.

roy
Administrator

Re: End of week 2 diet change

Postby roy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:49 am

It's great that a change of diet cleared your symptoms but it MUST be pointed out that half a million Americans need mainstream meds to treat C. Diff each year and 29,000 die.
Around 1 in 5 cases do resolve without meds if the cause is removed but nobody should try treating with pro/prebiotic and diet if a test shows their copious watery D is because of a C. Diff infection.
Alway seek medical attention and follow your Dr's advice.
Diet and probiotics are secondary to treatment not in place of it.

tomb523
New User

Postby tomb523 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi Roy;

Certainly good advice and I have discussed this with my Dr. My C.Diff was caused by overuse of prilosec and I've been suffering with it for 4+ years prior to diagnosis, but always very mild, thus we thought we'd try diet first. Please don't let anything I post defer anyone from seeking doctors input, that is not my intention. I only offer MY experience and believe that while it may not cure c.diff, it may at least aid in recovery in addition to modern drugs.

Having said that, my experiences are, indeed, real and backed by the current science (lacking as it may be) on general gut health.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:30 pm

I think the information you posted is good to have. Many people have issues after treatment for c difficile and changing their diet may be helpful. Thank you for sharing. Your case was a little different.

Return to “Success Stories”