2 yrs, it will get better!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
D1dad
Regular Contributor

2 yrs, it will get better!

Postby D1dad » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:30 am

Man. Just typing this brings back some horrible memories, but that’s the great part. Memories. Like pretty much everyone else I found this site going through a time that was one of the worst in my life. I tired to be tough but cdiff reminds you that your at it’s mercy. All the probiotics and healthy eating in the world won’t help if you can’t beat out the cat 5 hurricane going through your digestive tract. The good news is, it does get better. Whether it’s an FMT or two, or several rounds of antibiotics. Or in my case, two rounds of flagyl, which was every bit as bad as cdiff in its own right. Don’t let a doc prescribe it, even though it did work for me. It’s not first line and destroys your gut as much as the infection. I believe it set me back months in rebuilding my flora. Two years later, no eating restrictions or intolerances, there were some in the beginning. You will get there, or at least to a place your comfy with. Last week I took a trip to florida and lived on spicy everything and drank like my college days. Two years ago I didn’t know if I’d ever get rid of this and figured I’d be a cdiff long hauler. Time heals all and will eventually heal your sick gut. Keep your head up and keep going, it will go away, even if it doesn’t seem like it. There’s lots of great folks here who continue to stick around offering advice as well as support. Thanks to all!

lvg
New User

Re: 2 yrs, it will get better!

Postby lvg » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:48 pm

loved reading this, how encouraging!

Kneeofit
New User

Postby Kneeofit » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:19 pm

I too appreciated reading this. Even with good medical care, this is a scary road to be on and it is encouraging to hear about your recovery.

Though is is MUCH better than having a C. diff infection (in my experience), I sure don't want to remain in this post-infection IBS limbo, needing to regain weight, but having to be extremely careful about exactly what and how much I eat and drink.
Female, late 60s. Had outpatient knee replacement January 2021. Besides antibiotics during surgery, took surgeon-prescribed clindamycin for three days. Flattened by C Diff four weeks post-surgery. 14 days of vancomycin.

NS789
Regular Contributor

Postby NS789 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:54 pm

Thank you, D1dad! I'm only 5 months recovered and still have occasional bad days, but I know you're right... it will continue to get better with time :). I'm glad you're doing well and thanks so much for the words of encouragement!
32 y/o female. Got C. diff in Feb. 2020. Prescribed Flagyl (10 days), then Flagyl again (4 days), then Vanco (10 days), then Dificid (10 days), then Dificid again (10 days), then a Vanco taper (5 wks), then a Dificid taper (2 mths) and finally recovered.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:29 am

After I I recovered pepto became a close friend of mine. Prior to cdiff I can’t recall ever having a BM that was un normal that didn’t involve the ghost pepper wing challenge. Of course after I went back to my old ways and was quickly reminded that it wasn’t gonna happen that fast. So many mornings I was sure I was relapsing but my gi never retested, even though at that point I had turned into a hypochondriac, I think we all do. If pepto stopped it then all was well. When I say pepto I don’t mean drinking a half bottle for a case of the squirts. I bought tabs and ate one and then maybe a half hour later. When I got cdiff I thought I had just picked up a stomach bug so medicated with over the counter anti diarrheals and cdiff laughed at them. I swear my body could turn a block of cheese into a water cannon in less than 10 minutes. I also took the approach while on my way to healing that more was better when it came to probiotics. Well, when your body isn’t used to them, taking handfuls and drinking keffer like it’s free beer isn’t exactly gentle on things. Quite honestly probiotics probably aren’t doing much, but they do make you feel like you have some control. My advice is find one that you can tolerate and stick with it until you can’t, which will probably happen at first. To this day I take a men’s colon health every morning and probably always will. Maybe a waste of money, and I probably don’t need it but it makes me feel better. Time moves fast and someday everyone who’s making bathroom deals with god right now will put this in the rear view and it will just be a horrible time in your life that you never wanna revisit. I got cdiff because I ran to the doc and got an AB for every little sniffle. Since, I’ve only had to take one and that was pretty much, “take it or lose part of your foot” I injured it pretty bad and it got infected really really bad. I loaded up on florastor, ate healthy and came out ok. I know what every person here is going through and pray for each and know the hopeless feeling of realizing you may be damaged for life. The good news is your probably not. Some will have some intolerances and some will take longer than others but you will make it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Great post D1dad!

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:30 am

Thanks Roy! I hope your doing well across the pond and have managed to avoid the virus.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Congrats, D1dad.

Ali-Mar
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ali-Mar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 pm

Very encouraging, thanks D1dadd. I had an FMT 9 months ago but I am still struggling with PI-IBS. Reading this post gives me hope that I might be able to drink a glass of an IPA beer again, and soon I hope
Male 54, contracted C-Diff on Feb 5, 2020, diagnosed on March 2nd, Took Flagyl for 8 days, Vanco for 10 days, relapsed 5 weeks post-Vanco. finished Dificid Taper on June 20 relapsed two weeks later, had the FMT on July 14th, 2020

Return to “Success Stories”