No such thing as a 'normal' recovery - 11 weeks post

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
roy
Administrator

Re: No such thing as a 'normal' recovery - 11 weeks post

Postby roy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:49 pm

Nature knows best so let your son get dirty and let him suck his fingers.
That's how our immune system and gut flora develop!
Looking at yesterday's food input its not surprising he is slightly "off" but it's probably minor and strengthening his flora!

speg
New User

Postby speg » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:34 am

Beth-
Thank you for the reassurance.

speg
New User

Postby speg » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:39 am

Roy- haha yea he likes to try foods. Today he had a pepperoncini (a little hot pepper) in garlic olive oil. He seems ok otherwise. Gonna just hang in there. I hear kids get diarrhea alllllll the time, as long as it doesn't go on too long, he stays hydrated and we're not seeing any other bad symptoms probably best to wait it out if we can!

speg
New User

Postby speg » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:57 am

beth22: Sadly my sons GI has not improved & he is now passing fair amounts of mucus in his stool and every time he passes gas. He is having accidents, despite being fairly well potty trained (during the day). The smell --- oh that smell you will never forget. We are bringing in a stool sample tomorrow, but of course as it's a Friday we wont hear results until at least Monday. I don't really need the results. I figure he was either carrying it from the NICU (or our early life together as I was undiagnosed for many weeks while breast feeding) or it's in our home. I do my best to bleach and wash and have worn gloves when changing him since he was very little, but I just doubt we've got it all out of our space.

I will update with the progress of this story. My hope is that he tests negative, but even w/out the diarrhea I think he would have tested positive as a carrier. He's got to be in better health than me, so hopefully if it is a 1 and done vanco regiment will put him in order. I am somewhat terrified. It was hard enough when it was me. I feel awful like I've doomed him to a life of not being able to take antibitoics if really needed. His poor little gut has just been inundated with antibiotics even before he was born (I was on them for a bladder infection w hile pregnant, they give "proflactic" iv antibiotics during preterm delivery, he was put on 2 antibitoics in the NICU "just in case he did catch anything", and then exposed to the vanco through breastmilk for weeks.... and now this). It is no wonder his gut doesn't have the capacity to fight anything off. 2 years old and he's already been on every major antibiotic out there, FOR NO GOOD REASON grrrrr.

speg
New User

Postby speg » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:37 pm

Update on the little one:
Cdiff culture came back negative YAY, I sighed a sigh of relief. It was just a coinsidence that he picked up a GI bug at the same time. Yesterday he had his first formed poo and so far today nothing which is reassuring. Doc can't explain why it took so long to get over, or why so much mucusy yuck in the stool (possibly he has a very sensitive GI - he does have extremely sensitive skin). Either way it's not cdiff and I'm sooooo relieved.

I also would like to thank all those who reassured me :) Beth

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 pm

Glad to hear that it wasn't c difficle. Is he lactose or gluten intolerant or has he been tested for that? I was told by an allergist that when you have skin allergies, you can also get GI problems with D, etc. He told me that antihistamines help generally.

Return to “Success Stories”