Off antiobiotcs for 70+ days now

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
skeeter
Regular User

Off antiobiotcs for 70+ days now

Postby skeeter » Mon May 22, 2006 11:57 pm

Hey everyone (long post coming up),

Just wanted to stop by and give an update on my condition. I have been off Flagyl for 73 days now. I know a few people here used 70 days as an important number, although I don't know why. Anyway, I have been progressing slowly but surely over the last few weeks, basically having several good digestive days, then one really bad one here and there, basically due to what I eat. I'm guessing I have a mild and strange form of IBS. I can eat a hamburger with bacon dripping with grease or a steak and have absolutely no problems but if I have fries or dessert, then I'm in trouble. I think sugar is the main trigger for it. I'm going to a different GI in 2 weeks to get another opinion since the GI I was seeing when I was sick has basically blown me off since.

A few weeks ago I discovered a product that I don't think has been mentioned here and I think it's changed everything for me. It's called Digestive Advantage IBS and it's a once a day chewable tablet. They're pretty much available everywhere and a month's supply costs around $8-10. It's has basically normalized my bowels for the most part and I now have completely normal movements without too much cramping or urges every day. I urge anyone who has IBS to check out their website. They will even send you a free 8 day sample.

http://www.ganedenbiotech.com/index.php?page=home

Just this week I have also been able to handle dairy with the help of Lactaid pills. I've had chicken parm twice now, the first time I had some gas and rumbling for about 4 hours after I ate it so tonight I just took two pills instead of one and my stomach has been absolutely silent. I think my first slice of heaven (pizza) is definately in my near future.

Finally, I'm letting my probiotics run out. I've stopped taking culturelle and once I run out of Florastor, I won't be getting another bottle. It's just been too expensive and I think I'm past the point where I need to rely on them to avoid a relapse (knock on wood). The Digestive Advantage IBS pill has a blend of lactobacillus cultures in it anyway. I think it's amazing how probiotics have really exploded in the time since I became sick in January. I had to order Culturelle online 2 months ago, now it's in every Wal-Mart and drugstore near me, along with other probiotics. I'll try to post from time to time, if there are any changes in my condition. Thanks again to everyone here for their support and advice.

judiingley
Regular User

Postby judiingley » Tue May 23, 2006 7:40 am

Thanks Skeeter for the info you,ve posted about the Digestive Advantage--I just ordered the free sample--I am vanco free almost 10 months and still cannot avoid some upset after I eat certain foods. So, thanks again and I will give this product a try.

Judi
from Tampa
judith ingley

Marcia
Long Time Contributor

Postby Marcia » Tue May 23, 2006 8:25 am

Skeeter
Great to hear of your progress. I hope it only keeps getting better and better for you. I was ordering Culturelle online too until i noticed they have it at Walmart too, even cheaper!!!!
Keep updating us on your health regarding C Diff, and be very careful with antibiotics again.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 23, 2006 10:22 am

Skeeter,

Thx. for letting us know how you are doing. Pls. post occasionally to encourage others. I copied your post in Success Stories. Many (about l out of 5) people develop IBS after C. diff.

Do be careful about taking antibiotics again.

skeeter
Regular User

Postby skeeter » Tue May 23, 2006 1:34 pm

Bobbie wrote:
Do be careful about taking antibiotics again.

Believe me, unless it's life or death, I won't be taking antibiotics again. On one hand, I'm still relatively young and that could be trouble since I'm sure something will come up over the years where I'll need to take them again, on the other, hopefully in that time they'll come up with something to beat this horrible disease rather than just treat it like just about everything else out there.

Just a follow up on the Digestive Advantage, last night I emailed the company asking them if it was safe to take both the IBS and Lactose Intolerance pills at the same time, since taking Lactaid several times a day can be a pain I'm sure, and you only need one Digestive Advantage LI pill a day for the same results. They responded already:

Usually we tell consumers to start with the one IBS pill for both conditions. If you are still having problems with dairy, and you are taking an IBS pill, try adding one LI pill along with it. That should give you relief from both conditions. Thank you for your interest in our product, have a nice day.

For anyone who has ordered samples, be paitent. It took well over 3 weeks for mine to come. If you're impatient like me, Wal-Mart has the best prices on both by far, $7.62 for a box. I've seen them elsewhere around here for up to $14.99 a box. For other success stories on their products, just search for "Digestive Advantage" on Amazon.com and read the reviews.

Return to “Success Stories”