Don't give up hope! This is me 6 months later.

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
CorgiGal
New User

Don't give up hope! This is me 6 months later.

Postby CorgiGal » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi everyone! I remember turning to this forum when I first came down with C.diff when I couldn't see an end to pain and discomfort, and so I wanted to post another happy ending for those still early in their recovery. You will get better!

I am 25F, and I still don't know how I got my C.diff infection and presented in a strange way (no D until 3 weeks into my infection), and didn't get diagnosed until 4 weeks after my initial symptoms. I was put on a 10 day course of Flagyl which was, quite frankly, worse than having C.diff. My mother even flew out to where I was living alone because I was unable to feed myself or even get out of bed I was so nauseous and fatigued. Without her I definitely would have had to be kept in the hospital.

That was 6 months ago. Recovery was long and painful, and I had to take 2 months off from my veterinary school studies to lay in bed, rest, and eat. I continued to have symptoms of post-infection IBS for many months. My anxiety went through the roof, but being on an anti-anxiety medication and going to regular counseling appointments has made it so much better.

Today I am back able to work 12-13 hour days on the clinic floor, study for my board exams, and continue my training, but I am much more cautious about my energy limits and my health. This past month has been great, with no major flare-ups of IBS symptoms, and I even treated myself to a cupcake a few days ago with no major repercussions! I continue to be lactose intolerant, fast food and most restaurants are out of the question, and I am still sensitive to some carbohydrates (white bread). Life isn't back to normal, but it's good.

Here are a few things that really helped me, if you are still searching for some more direction (thankfully this forum gives so much excellent advice!)
(1) probiotics (addressed pretty much everywhere on this site, probiotics are SO important for preventing re-occurrence and I still take them even though my GI says it probably isn't doing anything).
(2) digestive enzyme pills (when I was REALLY struggling 1 month into recovery with constant bloating, pain, and unable to eat much, these pills helped give my GI tract a rest by helping with the digestive process and allowed me to eat much larger meals)
(3) anxiety management (I took up meditation, went to counseling, took medication, and it has helped so much. C.diff can really wreak havoc on the mental health of its victims, don't be afraid to do whatever you need to do to get it under control)
(4) yoga (there are plenty of yoga digestive flow routines on youtube, and I still do the routine every morning).
(5) peppermint tea (I drink this multiple times a day, every day. It has been fantastic for settling my stomach, especially on the rougher mornings)
(6) cutting out alcohol, coffee, fast food, and eating sugar in moderation (all of these things are triggers for me now, but I hope to bring them back in moderation in a couple of months).

Anyway that's what has happened with me. It might be too much to hope that it's the last I see of C.diff, but life is so much better now, and yours will be too!

hht7899
New User

Re: Don't give up hope! This is me 6 months later.

Postby hht7899 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:53 pm

So glad you’re recovery is going well! Can you please tell me what kind of probiotics you took and or are taking??

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Don't give up hope! This is me 6 months later.

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 am

Glad you are feeling better. Thanks for posting and giving hope to others.

Return to “Success Stories”