FOR ANYONE WHO FEELS LIKE CDIFF WILL NEVER GO AWAY, IT WILL

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jjbaird1
New User

FOR ANYONE WHO FEELS LIKE CDIFF WILL NEVER GO AWAY, IT WILL

Postby jjbaird1 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 am

Hi,

I just wanted to give everyone an update on how I have been two years cdiff free, and to offer encouragement that YOU TOO WILL BEAT THIS! Yes, two years cdiff free. Prior to Cdiff I had a stomach made of armor and could eat anything and everything, but after I was given a drug called Clindamycin I suffered a year of purgatory to put it mildly. I was more in shock that I had cdiff because I never knew what it was, but let me tell you, I found out right away after experiencing those horrible symptoms.

I literally wanted to spend the rest of my life on the couch watching lifetime movies and throw a pity party for myself. After being diagnosed with cdiff and sparse literature my doctor handed me I was beyond defeated. I can't tell you how many rounds of medication I took with my last option being a fecal transplant. Seriously? That even made this situation even more maddening. I finally researched a great gastro who specialized in cdiff and gave me that light at the end of the tunnel that I so desperately yearned for.

I was put on a Vancomycin treatment plan after the other treatments failed and that was no picnic either. The side effects were not pleasant and when I was in doubt of this medication working he told me that I had to be patient because cdiff reeked havoc on my GI and it could take months even years for my body to heal. Once I heard years I wanted to stick myself back on the couch and eat another pint of ice-cream even if that meant living the rest of the life out in the bathroom.

But, I followed my gastro's orders and was patient and started taking probiotics, and citrucel.. Little and when I mean little I mean little by little I got better. I started using the bathroom a little less, I had a little more energy, but that was because he put me on a strict diet while my body healed.I never thought I would be able to eat spicy food ever again. Well, I was wrong because two years later here I am able to eat most but not all foods without my stomach suffering from post IBS at certain times when I know I'm eating too much, or something too harsh for stomach.

Here are some tips that will make your recovery a little less stressful

-find a Gastro who specializes in cdiff...be sure to advise on the below...because I am NO doctor just a patient who used what worked for her
-take probiotics (Digestive Probiotic gummies, they tasted great and my stomach was no making noises 24/7)
-take citrucel (this will normalize your stool because even after the cdiff is gone your stool will not be 100% back to normal, so don't go running to take a test because 9 times out of 10 they are not accurate and you will be taking another round of medication for something that is no longer there thus prolonging your healing time
-DO NOT EXAMINE YOUR STOOL EVERY TIME YOU USE THE BATHROOM! It's not going to be award winning stool....just yet
-Continue taking probiotics because if you end up getting post IBS like me, this will help you tremendously.
-You will have GOOD DAYS and NOT SO GOOD DAYS because your still healing from this nightmare
-Whatever you do, do not google WEBMD, avoid it!
-and last but not least understand that in time your stool will either return to normal or a new normal...when I say new normal I mean that your stool might be different in consistency but nonetheless still normal

I hope this helped any of you out there, and remember YOU WILL BEAT THIS!!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FOR ANYONE WHO FEELS LIKE CDIFF WILL NEVER GO AWAY, IT WILL

Postby beth22 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks for sharing and giving hope to others.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: FOR ANYONE WHO FEELS LIKE CDIFF WILL NEVER GO AWAY, IT WILL

Postby Bobbie » Sat May 26, 2018 4:17 am

C diff is an awful infection. Congrats for beating thr beast.

Return to “Success Stories”