14 weeks Cdiff free after FMT

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
MrsM25
Regular Contributor

14 weeks Cdiff free after FMT

Postby MrsM25 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello everyone! I haven’t really been here as frequently which is a good thing but I just wanted to post and say that tomorrow will be 14 weeks since I had my FMT via colonoscopy and I have remained cdiff free since having it done!
I just want to tell everyone that FMT for me was not a cake walk. I was not one of those who felt better instantly. It took several weeks for me to have formed stool and I had terrible PI-IBS. I also had to go to the ER afterwards because I had fevers and an elevated heart rate which they said was my body’s reaction to the FMT. I thought for sure the FMT was failing but it didn’t. Some of the things that helped me in the beginning was taking benefiber, keeping a food diary and eating very bland for awhile. I was slowly able to add things in and I can officially say that even though I still suffer mild IBS, I have only gotten real diarrhea from eating dairy so far. I am back to drinking my morning coffee (with almond or coconut creamer) and I finally can say that I’m beginning to not fear eating like I did in the beginning. One other thing I suffered from was the post traumatic stress after cdiff and during recovery. I continue to attend therapy and I take an antidepressant which has helped me resume a mostly normal life. I even survived the flu which was a huge fear for me after recovering from cdiff. I was so scared I would need an antibiotic for something but I made it through the flu and bronchitis without any issues.
So, for anyone reading this, there IS light at the end of the tunnel. I know it feels like it will never end but it will! I felt hopeless for awhile after relapsing so many times. FMT was ultimately my cure but like I said, it wasn’t a miracle so don’t get frustrated, just keep fighting, you will win eventually!

Bennet
Regular User

Re: 14 weeks Cdiff free after FMT

Postby Bennet » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:21 pm

Thank you so much for coming back and updating us. Hate to hear that you had such a rough time of it but so glad you are doing better now!!
~Bennet

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: 14 weeks Cdiff free after FMT

Postby MKW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Congratulations! I was cured by an FMT also, and no it's not perfect. But, it works! My doctor considered cure to be at 8 weeks after the procedure, but until I made it 12 weeks I couldn't relax about possible relapse. So, you are statistically in the clear :-) Everyone talks so much about probiotics, but it is so, so important to eat prebiotic foods that will help your microbiome reestablish and mature. And it is such a miracle when you get to have coffee again! I still drink mine black and could care less. I never thought I'd go through something so restrictive where black coffee was a miracle luxury I got back in my life, but that's how I felt :-).... I ended up and have developed SIBO following my FMT, and am in the middle of trying to effectively remedy that. But, my FMT worked. For those of us for whom multiple rounds of antibiotics failed, we are truly lucky this procedure is available and that safe stool donations like from Open Biome are available also.

Return to “Success Stories”