You may have won a few battles but I have won the war! 1 year free

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Davidtm
Regular Contributor

You may have won a few battles but I have won the war! 1 year free

Postby Davidtm » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 pm

Well it has been one year since my second FMT. On Feb 23rd 2017 I went in and had that simple procedure again to hopefully end the pattern of multiple relapses. With a sigh of relief 21 months in the making from when this all started, I happily say It has succeeded.
Although there were a few times I was certain I was relapsing I have not had a full blown relapse and it has been one year! That cannot be taken away from me. I feel that to make it this long is a success to build on. It means so much for me to reach this point and be able to post here. I told myself I’d wait until it had been a year so here I am.
In May of 2016 I got my diagnosis and after several failed treatments I got my second transplant that seems to have done the trick. Some people get ibs after c diff treatment and I feel I’m one of them to have a few lingering issues. I had good days and had bad days. Then good weeks and bad weeks. Good months to some off days. But all in all and off days considered it seems more good than bad as time goes on. Over the year I have been able to introduce new foods and get back to 90 percent my normal diet. I’ve had dairy a few times and sometimes it agrees and sometimes it doesn’t. But can enjoy a good burger, Curry, burrito, and other things I used to enjoy before this without issues.

I went to the la brea tar pits with my family this past week as a nice family outing for my birthday. I didn’t think about c diff one time and I’ve noticed that I do have more days where I don’t think of it and can be living in the moment. My time with c diff and my initial outlook/fears robbed me of a lot of time, energy, memories, and money. My youngest daughter is now 17 months old and much of her early life was missed out on because of the dark place I would go in my mind. I avoided everything and everyone. I’m happy I was able to snap out of it and realize that while I am trying to get better and fix this I have a life to live and family that needs me. So I had to rise above and after all of this time I’ve learned to cherish what is important. C diff doesn’t deserve the negative attention it desires. It’s a nuisance and a pest and it’s important not to let it take over. That is something I learned here in this group.

I’ll be honest. I’m a complete germaphobe/ hypochondriac. Always have been. I used to fear everything was wrong and that I had something horrible happening only have drs tell me nothing was wrong. When finally faced with the reality of c-diff It hit me hard. There was actually something wrong this time. And the more I read about it the more scared I got. Until I found all of you. It was only then that I was able to see things more clearly and start thinking positively.
The experience has been humbling and eye opening. To go from a hypochondriac that never had anything wrong to one that finally did opened my eyes to the fact that you need to count your blessings. To be healthy and worry about illness is a waste when you finally do get something to worry about. Enjoy the good days is all I can say. I want to live my life and stop looking over my shoulder. Face things as they come.

With all storms eventually the rain stops and the skies clear. C-diff is no different. It’s a storm for sure but take comfort in knowing that one day it shall pass. Eventually there is a winning combination for everyone. Whether it stopping the meds causing symptoms, one round of meds that cure most, a few rounds, or fmts there is a combination that works for everyone. I’m happy that I finally found one that has helped me.

I want to thank everyone here for all of the support and for sharing your kindness with me. For sharing your own stories, commiserating with mine, and your optimism for the future I am grateful.
I have my brother to thank for being my donor. Based on my food allergies I had limited options and was lucky to have a brother who would step up and be there for his little bro.
The strength you find in strangers when you are at your weakest is proof that there is good in this world and something I will always appreciate and feel inspired by.
It’s good to have family and community to rely on. And the community that lifts those from the ground to help them to their feet are family to me.
I may never get this again and I might. You never know what the future will bring but what I do know is that if I can beat it once I can beat it again. And if I can beat it then so can you.

Here’s to continued health for those in recovery and a hand of optimism to lift those still suffering to their feet. You too shall overcome.
From the bottom of my heart thank you. I hope I can help others in even a fraction of the way this community has helped me. I’ll post just the facts to case history and hope that it can be of some help to someone in the future.
If you’re reading this I hope you find strength and realize it will get better. Once I never thought I would and I couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel. There is a light!

Good things!
Last edited by Davidtm on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lid49
Regular Contributor

Re: You may have won a few battles but I have won the war! 1 year free

Postby Lid49 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:15 pm

I'm so happy for you, so glad that you feel good.
Lidia.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:46 pm

Great news and fabulous post!!

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:07 pm

Thank you

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:41 pm

Yay!!! I am so glad to see an update from you. I am 9 months post 2nd fmt too and cdiff free still! We are kindred.. I also have a 16 month old that I fear missed a lot of things because of recovery etc. I didn't think I would get to a happy point.. glad we are both doing so much better.

We have been blessed.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you. Your post is great and very inspirational for others! Pretty soon, you'll be counting years instead of days, weeks and months! Enjoy having your life back!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:53 am

Great news. Enjoy.

nickii52
Contributor

Postby nickii52 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Great news I am 9 months after Dificid taper keep up the positive attitude

Return to “Success Stories”