3yrs ago today.

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Michelle7198
Contributor

3yrs ago today.

Postby Michelle7198 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:35 am

3yrs ago today was when I first ever heard of cdiff. about a month before that day I was bit by a cat and a ER doctor gave me 3 different antibiotics , and informed me of rabies since I didn't know the cat. I was trying to save from my dads dogs. I was at work when I started to feel "off" I hadn't been feeling well but I just chalked it up to anxiety with the rabies ordeal and my job. What really caught me as odd was when a friend of mine walked by with my fave chinese food and I didn't even care. I wasn't hungry. Of all people..I didn't want to eat. I came home to my 3 kids and laid in the bed feeling very icky. I called my mom and said I don't feel good and I couldn't explain what it was and why I felt off. She works in our Local ER. So she took me in and I am freaking out because I think what if this is rabies?? Oh god..could I have rabies. Do not google rabies..That was a bad idea. As I laid in the ER the D hit..bathroom trip after bathroom trip..It was horrible..How was that much stuff in there?? The ER doctor came in speaking broken english..and said I think you have cdifficile. Um come again doctor..I have what and why?? He said it can be caused by antibiotics. They did a ct scan to make sure my colon wasn't enlarged and admitted me. Started me on Flagyl right away. I was so tired and week and just not good at all. I just kept thinking this is christmas eve. I can't be here. I spent the whole day there and a on call doctor told me that he would let me go home if I thought I could manage. I was a single parent. I was going to manage. My mom came home with me and helped me put christmas out. Flagyl was doing a number on me though I felt awful so I went back to ER and that doctor then didn't care. The "D" slowed down and I started what I am sure we all did... Searching the internet for CDIFF. What was this?? where did it come from?? why did I get it?? Will it go away? I found all of yall!! My people!! I posted my story and read very many and felt like this was never going to go away..I am forever marked with cdiff. I finished up my flagyl a rather short course 7 days. and started probiotics and anything else suggested. I had anxiety about every noise my stomach made...I look over every poop and wipe.. I bleached all things!! I washed my hands till they peeled and cracked. A week later I had an off day. Woke up very ickey and when "D" 3 times...I panicked. and called my doctor and they sent over a container and I tested positive. He said ok more flagyl. I said no liquid Vanco please I had no insurance and the time and very little money. My mom picked up the vanco and I put it in the fridge. I had read many many post about relasepes. They happened so often. Put one poster here made the most sense to me. ROY ( I hope you read this ) I didn't feel that sick.. I wasn't running a fever I wasn't having just all kinds of "D" Yes my bowels weren't like before cdiff but I didn't think I needed the vanco.. I decided I would let my body and mind figure this out. Days and weeks went by,,,and the vanco was going to expire. This was it.. Was I going to do this..Was I going to let my body heal itself? I mean it would give me a real red flag if it was needing assistance..right?? And that day went by..I didn't take it.. I've had a run in with antibiotics once since than for a UTI.. And I was terrified. I have had a baby since than and also scared..But here I am 3yrs later..Still watching those around me take antibiotics like PEZ..and not get cdiff... You can get better and you will and people who are reading this..I don't think you caught cdiff and no I'm not a doctor..Cdiff was there.. It just happen to be in your gut. and Those antibiotics that were needed or not really needed killed the good bacteria in our guts. and There was Cdiff..immune to those antibiotics and ready to attack. Don't be so quick to jump. Your bowels are just going to go back to your normal, You will have a new normal for a while and your poop won't look like "your poop" Don't look into that toliet. If you aren't running a fever or having massive amounts of "d" then wait. And EAT force your self to eat.. How can bacteria eat if you don't feed it. I kept chips in my bed and whenever I felt like I could I would munch on a few. Rest and focus back on the positive. That's what I did. I said to myself. This isn't cancer, this isn't terminal. I can live with this. If this is what life thought I could battle than bring it on! If you have any questions please ask. Who knows what I've left out. I haven't had a computer in months and I refuse to post long mess with my phone. Merry Christmas! Be Strong

ImScared
New User

Re: 3yrs ago today.

Postby ImScared » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:19 am

Michelle your post is inspiring. My husband tells me the same thing when I’m feeling down, it’s not cancer, it’s not terminal. I’m 8 weeks from my last dose of flagyl(1 round) and hoping for continued success. Diet still is bland and I tried to add new food last night(unsuccessfully). I’m hoping I will be back to normal as the day moves on and will stay positive. Happy Holiday Season to you and yours and I wish you continued health!

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:40 am

my diet stayed bland for quite sometime. I now eat everything. but for awhile it was baked sweet potatoes, pinto beans, apple sauce, yellow rice with extra tumeric and other bland foods. I hope that you only have to do one round! And have good health to follow!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:02 am

Glad you are doing well and thank you for posting and giving hope to others! I wish you continued good health and no more c diff EVER!

Michelle7198
Contributor

Postby Michelle7198 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:14 pm

Thank you Beth! who knows if I will ever have it again. I do think if I have to take antibiotics it will be something I will have to deal with. Such is life. Hopefully I can stay positive and get through. Because I have so much to live for 4 kids and an amazing boyfriend!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:06 am

Congrats. Best of luck.

Return to “Success Stories”