Almost 1 year C-Diff Free!!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
MiaL
Brand New Poster

Almost 1 year C-Diff Free!!

Postby MiaL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

I got Cdiff for the first time in September 2016 after a dose of penicillin to cure tonsillitis. I was given Flagyl only to be hospitalized for the next 5 days due to extreme dehydration, uncontrollable vomiting & severe stomach pain. The nurse in the er placed an NG tube up my nose & down my throats to suck out everything from mucous to poop. It was the worst experience of my life but once I finally tested negative to cdiff they let me go home. I bounced back within 2 days. Mind you I was 20 years old and my mom had to withdraw me from college due to so much missed time. After one month of fully recovering I got tonsillitis again and was placed on omnicef, again I contracted cdiff and was placed on flagyl. Again I was hospitalized with the same symptoms. Once the doctors realized Flagyl was the culprit I was placed on vancomycin and that truly saved my life. I walked out of the hospital later that day and made a full recovery days later. I regularly see a gastroenterologist to make sure my gut is healing properly & taking probiotics just as told. Cdiff was hands down the most traumatic experience I have ever been through, but I want to let people know that it does get better! If one medicine is causing a bunch of intolerable symptoms don't be afraid to ask your doc to be put on another. There is light at the end of the tunnel! And now a year to the date I am suffering a bad case of mono! The adventure never ends!

MiaL
Brand New Poster

Re: Almost 1 year C-Diff Free!!

Postby MiaL » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Two weeks after my last Cdiff episode I had my tonsils removed to prevent further infection and use of antibiotics. Honestly the recovery from the tonsil surgery was worse than having Cdiff. It was a rough couple of months but I'm still alive! I know I will get Cdiff again in my life because I will need antibiotics for something, but now I know what to expect! I hope this helps!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:14 pm

What you describe is very unlike c.diff.
Glad your well and your recovery was quick.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Mia, welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting for all new members.
Sorry you had c diff. Your experience is a bit odd. Just FYI- NG tubes do suck out the contents of your stomach but can't get down to your gut to suck out your poop. Still, it is certainly not pleasant.

Rather than knowing you will get c diff again you might want to work with your drs to avoid the use of antibiotics unless absolutely unnecessary. Do some research about viral vs bacterial infections and about other treatments for various ailments, and have discussions with your drs before they prescribe antibiotics.

Best of luck.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 am

Nasogastric tubes can suck out poop from your stomach ONLY if you are dealing with a total intestinal obstruction .

Return to “Success Stories”