1 year since FMT

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Rosie93
New User

1 year since FMT

Postby Rosie93 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Since it's been one year since the FMT that kicked cdiff I think it's time for an update.
In January 2016, I started having stomach issues...bloating, looser than my normal stools. I chalked it up to IBS, a food allergy, or stress. Since I was still able to go about my normal life, I kept ignoring it. The problems got consistently worse over the months as well as my overall health. My face was swollen and my hair stopped growing. I was extremely tired all the time. By spring of 2016 I was experiencing the hallmark cramping symptom so I went to see a gastro at the end of May. I discovered I had cdiff which I had never heard of at the time. Upon sharing my diagnosis with my bf's mom, she only then tells me she got cdiff from being in the hospital in January (the same time my symptoms started /when I had taken an antibiotic for a UTI. So it seems I got it from her and had it for about 5 months before finding out.
I was first prescribed Flagyl for 10 days which I could hardly tolerate. I had D the entire time and it came back worse than ever when I finished. Then I was given Vanco for 2 weeks. After finishing this round of antibiotics, I was sicker than ever and the cdiff was fighting it with full force. The physicians assistant who I had been dealing with the entire time wanted to put me on a month taper of Vanco. It was now the end of July and I refused. I basically demanded the FMT and had it done August 4. Two weeks later, I had a negative test. Every test since has been negative.
However, I have suffered from horrible PI-IBS which has been almost as bad as cdiff itself. This has been going on my entire year of recovery thus far. I've had every test in the book (SIBO, CT Scan, blood work, and stool after stool test) because I refused to believe this is what I was left with. Nothing seemed to be wrong but the symptoms persisted. Finally, in June I was at my wits end. I changed doctors because I was getting no where. My new doctor is having me try a low dose of tricyclic antidepressants. It has been the only relief I've gotten thus far. My quality of life has increased ten fold. Since nerve damage has caused hypersensitivity, the IBS, the medication dulls the pain and can actually stimulate nerve repair.
While a lot of people are against these kinds of prescriptions, (I was too), I reached a point where I had tried everything and decided to give it a chance. I will not be on them forever, but given that the IBS could last up to 3 years, it will help me during this time.
I am finally getting back to a somewhat normal life.
I feel for Everyone going through cdiff and recovery. But I know that in time, it will just be water under the bridge.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 1 year since FMT

Postby beth22 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 am

Glad you are doing better. Thanks for posting and giving others hope. I, too, had terrible IBS after months of vanco and FMT, but mine was mostly SIBO. Hopefully, the meds will help and you can get back to living a normal life.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 1 year since FMT

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 am

Persistant IBS is common after Cdiff. About 1 out of 5 have it. See CDI - IBS and CDI - three day rule.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=659#p4770
Am glad you found a way to cope. Many turn to medication..

Return to “Success Stories”