6 1/2 weeks!!! Yay!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Sad2017
New User

6 1/2 weeks!!! Yay!

Postby Sad2017 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Back at the beginning of May I caught strep from my son which then developed into a tonsillar abscess that had to be drained which resulted in me needing to take clindamycin. I took the 10 day course of meds without any problem whatsoever I also took it along with a probiotic florajen 3. 4 days after completing the meds I came down with a low grade fever by the next morning I had severe diarrhea and abdominal cramps and was extremely ill. Having worked in healthcare for 10 years I had a fairly good idea what I thought was going on which was c. Diff so I immediately scheduled an appt with my PCP she wasn't able to get me in until the next morning being it was already midday I decided to wait. The next morning my dr saw me and immediately told me I needed to be seen in the ER my BP was 72/50, she was worried I was septic so she sent me via ambulance. Once at the ER they ran my stool which was pos for c. Diff. Being that they couldn't stabilize my BP they forced me to be admitted, the next day they did a CT on me which showed considerable colitis which forced me to be in the hospital 4 days. I was started on flagyl by hospital and started to feel better within a day or 2, once released I finished out the course and was feeling ok, until 4 days later when my symptoms came back just as quick as the initial infection. My PCP called in vanco for me she went right to a long tapered treatment, she was great about being very proactive in fighting it. But unfortunately 1 day into the vanco it caused me serious tinnitus and nausea and it was shown that the vanco was crossing the blood barrier and causing systemic problems for me, I was worried and out of mosy options so I asked my dr about dificid she wasn't familiar with the drug but went to her office and read up on it while I was in the exam room she came back after 20 minutes script in hand and paperwork for authorization from my insurance for the med!!! It was my lucky day! I picked up the med and started it ASAP, the first few days were hell I really didn't think I'd be able to take all 10 days but it did get better and ultimately finished without much problem. After completing the med I was nervous and had many days of PI-IBS symptoms which I thought were sure to be relapses but never turned out to be, thank God! I took my last dificid 6/13 and fingers crossed have been well since. One thing I will add is the rocky post IBS days I feel cleared up due to taking glutamine. I had read about it helping others and figured I'd give it along with a fiber supplement a try. Not sure if it was coincidence but 3-4 days after starting glutamine and fiber my symptoms started to subside, my stool turned up, I went from 2-3 small soft stools back to my regular size and frequency. Also the gurgling, rumbling, gas, cramps, and mucus all cleared up as well, that was back in post week 3 and now I'm just over post week 6 and IBS symptoms are GONE. I have resumed my normal a activities and diet once again. I definitely recommend trying both supplements as they truly helped me. Thank you to this forum for so much help and guidance through what was on of my most difficult times in my life. God bless you all you truly are angels. I pray for the members of this forum often and hope God hears my prayers for us all.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 6 1/2 weeks!!! Yay!

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:43 am

Congrats. Still not "out our of the woods" but sounds good.

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:58 am

Can I ask what is considered "out of the woods?"

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:47 pm

It varies by person. Hard to predict but in a couple more weeks, i would feel safe.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:04 am

Congrats and you are probably in good shape, but I am with Bobbie- I truly relaxed when I hit 3 months and celebrated totally at 6 months. Perhaps I am just very paranoid????

Rita

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:41 pm

Congrats !!!

:)

Thx for report !!

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 am

Thanks for the info and support everyone! Hit the 7 wk mark and still going strong! Feeling optimistic!

SandraC
Brand New Poster

Postby SandraC » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Wow congrats! I got my negative C-diff result on 8/4 after 7 days in Flagyl. I've had 3 watery stools today and I'm freaking out, I desperately want to get my life back. What was the name brand of the supplements you took? Thank you for your post, it gives me hope.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 pm

7 days on flagyl is generally not long enough to cure C diff. You need to be tested for relapse, or call your doctor for a prescription for vancomycin.

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:25 pm

Sandrac

I'm sorry I just saw this. I hope things turned out ok for you. As much as this forum has been helpful for me I try to stay away since reading others stories can sometimes trigger anxiety and over analyzing every little thing which makes me a little panicky. If that makes any sense.

On another note thus Tues 8/22 Will be my 70 day/10 wk mark and still going strong!! Yay! Wishing everyone the best in healing!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Sandrac, if you come back to this site, and I hope you do, welcome, please read the rules for posting and start your own thread so your situation will be seen by others and you can get responses from other posters.

I hope by now IF your watery d has continued your dr has started you on vancomycin or Difficid. You likely were not sufficiently treated with Flagyl, which is not a good drug but is commonly the first medication used. You should not have been tested for cure. It is not the accepted thing to do and often not accurate. You are treated or re-treated based on symptoms. You can read a lot of good information in our CDI section.

I suspect you are not being treated by a GI dr and if it were me, I would make an appointment to see one.

Again, I hope you return to this site to read this and get support from our members.
Rita

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi all just updating I have passed the 12 week mark and am fingers crossed still doing great. So there is hope. I was cured after taking dificid after my first round of meds which was flagyl failed to knock out the infection.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Sad, congrats. Think u are "almost home."

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 am

Congrats on your 12 weeks of recovery , good to hear you are doing well!

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm

14 weeks today and still all well!! Stay positive and hopeful everyone You WILL get through!!!

Return to “Success Stories”