6.5 weeks post vanco

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
kmr92
New User

6.5 weeks post vanco

Postby kmr92 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a 24 year old RN who was diagnosed with c. diff 3/17/17, likely from exposure from the hospital where I work (the last time I took antibiotics was Augmentin 8/2016 for a sinus infection, although I guess anything is possible). It started out as D for about 10 days straight with overall abdominal cramping, right lower abdominal pressure and some slight nausea, although I was still able to eat. But I did have a very big loss of appetite. I initially thought it was something bad that I ate but when it didn't let up and the nausea increased, I knew something was terribly wrong. But for some reason I never did consider c. diff (I guess because I hadn't had a patient recently with c. diff but you know the spores must be everywhere in that hospital anyway). I was seen at an urgent care after about 5 days of being ill, where blood work and an ultrasound was done to rule out appendicitis. Those tests came back normal. No stool tests were done. I went home feeling somewhat relieved it wasn't appendicitis but still in the back of my head knowing something still wasn't right. I eventually made an appointment on 3/15/17 with a GI doctor, who ordered several stool tests. I went home that night and things just got worse. Chills and night sweats, my heart pounding in my chest, temp was only slightly raised at 99.2. I called him the next morning and begged for an antibiotic or anything to help end this misery (which he declined to give me until test results were back, which I am now grateful for since it would've just made things worse). He did, however, order a CT of the abdomen/pelvis which I had on the morning of 3/17. He called me later that afternoon with the results of the CT showing pseudomembranous colitis and a stool test positive for c diff tox A. I was in complete shock. I had to tell my boss and needed to be out of work until my antibiotics were finished per my hospital's policy.

I was first prescribed Flagyl and was able to tolerate the metallic taste in my mouth and weird colored urine, but it left me feeling drugged, dizzy, and forgetful so I asked to be switched to Vanco. I took Vanco 125mg 4x a day for 2 weeks. I am now about 6.5 weeks since my last dose and so far, so good. Still not back to my normal digestion, which from what I've read on this board, could take a while or may not happen at all. I did have a follow up with my GI doctor and told him of my symptoms of bloating/gas and some food intolerances and he did say it is likely I do have some post infectious IBS.

If anything this illness has affected me more mentally than anything else. I am an avid hand washer at work so I'm still confused as to how this happened. But now I'm a completely obsessive-compulsive hand washer, to the point where my hands are red and hurt most days. I'm working on not washing to this point, as I know it can lead to cracks in the skin and risk of some other infection. What made this all the more bizarre is that my twin sister, who was doing a school rotation in the hospital where I work, was having identical symptoms but was negative for c diff and had a colonoscopy that showed nothing remarkable. Go figure. But very glad she did not have this as well.

So now I'm left trying to get my mind back to its pre c.diff state. I did return to work about a month ago and I only let a few people close to me know what actually happened (the rest think I got the flu). It gives me such anxiety to enter that hospital and think that I'm reinfecting myself and/or bringing the germs home to my family. Actually, I have anxiety doing anything really 24/7. I'm terrified of reinfection from my car or my clothes or anything else I may have touched when I was sick, or of getting some other kind of illness requiring antibiotics, to the point where most days I'm crying and bleaching and washing my hands all day. So I'm thinking of seeking some sort of therapy very soon. My boyfriend has been my biggest support and I know he wants me to get help because he hates to see my like this and wants me to enjoy my life, as do I.

Sorry for the very long post or if I posted this in the wrong spot, but I wanted to thank all of you for your posts. Reading them gave me such hope during what was, and still is, a very dark time in my life. C. diff has taken a lot away from me but I'm determined to get it back. I am very nervous to post this and I feel it may be a bit premature to call it a "success story" but I just wanted to share my experience and let you all know how much you've helped me. More than you know. So thank you.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Re: 6.5 weeks post vanco

Postby Davidtm » Tue May 16, 2017 11:31 pm

congrats on your success and thank you for sharing your story! I really like hearing about people that respond to treatment quickly. I'm sorry to hear you're still having the stress and anxiety and as a fellow anxious person I can sympathize! Focus on what you love and try not to live in fear. one day at a time and I hope you feel less stressed with each new day.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 16, 2017 11:58 pm

Thank you for posting your success story , very inspiring. Wishing you continuous improvement!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 17, 2017 12:32 am

So glad you are doing well and thank you for sharing. If you would like continued support from others for your anxiety, which so many who have had c diff have shared, please feel free to post on the other boards.
Rita

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed May 17, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for posting, 6 1/2 weeks is great and often the Post IBS takes time along with the anxiety. If the anxiety continues, I would consider a counselor. It is more of a challenge working in healthcare. We have many nurses and healthcare providers on this site and it can be a struggle.

I take far more precautions then I ever did before and leave shoes outside, wash clothing and take all steps I can. It takes time but you will get there

Wishing you the best

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you for posting and congrats.

Most of us are left with lingering anxiety. It usually decreases the longer we are free of c diff.

kmr92
New User

Postby kmr92 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Thank you all for your well wishes. I wish you all well too. Grateful to be on the upswing.

Return to “Success Stories”