Bye-bye, c-diff!!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
foots
Regular Contributor

Bye-bye, c-diff!!

Postby foots » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi, just thought I would post my experience in the hopes that it may help someone else.

It all started in 2014 when I was pregnant. I was in need of antibiotics for a skin infection. So I took a cephalosporin drug and that was that.

Fast forward to July when I gave birth. I had group B strep and had to have penicillin every 4 hours. So there went some more good flora that I did not replace.

I will never know where I acquired the c-diff, but it's possible that I got it from the hospital. The next month, I started getting occasional fevers and either d or c but with terrible stomach pain. It would go away & come back the next month. 99 temp, 100, 103 once, etc. Always with the bad pain.

Finally, the dr gave me amoxicillan. Then they found c-diff. No telling if it was from the amoxicillan or if I already had it & that made it worse. I stopped it & waited. The d did not improve.

I couldn't take Flagyl bc I was nursing, so I took vancomycin for 10 days. It helped, but I relapsed a couple of wks later.

So I took 14 days of it. Same. Then 8 weeks of it. Same. Then a flex sig revealed infectious colitis. Still had pain, so took Dificid for 10 days. It helped. But it came back again, even though it took longer to come back.

Finally, I saw an ID doctor who prescribed Vanco, followed by Rifaximin. But the GI doc already had me taking Dificid again. So it ended up being Dificid followed by Rifaximin, and I have had nothing but negative tests since February. I have IBS, but it is improving.

There isn't much written abt this combo, but it may be worth trying as Dificid spares the good flora more than Vanco does, and the Rifaximin just made it stay away, I guess! But thank God, it is gone.

Hope this helps somebody.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bye-bye, c-diff!!

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:25 pm

Thanks for posting. Glad you are doing better and I hope it stays away for good for you!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:36 am

Glad you posted in success stories Foots , I'm wishing you continuous improvement, hopefully the IBS will subside soon too and you can start enjoying life again. Happy for you.

Dianlynn
Regular User

Postby Dianlynn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:39 am

Wonderful story! Thank you for posting. Everyone heals of CDiff eventually. What a great testimony. We celebrate with you!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks for posting, Foots! I've followed your story throughout and know that you have been through a very difficult time. I'm so glad that you have come through the other side of this. I wish you continued improvement!

Lisa

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:33 pm

Great news! I also contracted it postpartum. My doctor said its the second highest group right behind the elderly. wishing you continued health!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 pm

Post partum wards are the highest contaminated areas in the world.
A few years ago you gave birth and stayed there for 2 weeks.
Now you are out in 12 hours.
Reason is they are so contaminated they are a danger to both mom and baby.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:37 pm

Congrats, Foots. Enjoy your renewed health and your baby.

Return to “Success Stories”