Negative test!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
sb91
New User

Negative test!

Postby sb91 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:23 pm

I have been on this site since my first suspected day of c diff. I have never posted anything because I was one of the "lucky" ones. My infection was not as awful as others has suffered. So I will write my story now.

About a month ago I had a severe sinus infection and double ear infection. Normally, I refuse antibiotics right away, but I was so miserable I accepted the antibiotic (cefdiner). I went through most of the antibiotic then that Friday or Saturday I noticed blood and mucus in my stool. I was mortified but thought immediately I had a cdiff infection. I only thought that because my mother in law had it recently, and she had it very severely. I was mostly terrified because I am pregnant and had no idea what this meant for the baby! My luck though I was not in terrible pain, and my body seemed to be getting back to normal even before I made it to the doctor to get tested, but my test did come back positive to my doctors surprise. I started on vancomycin right away and took it as directed. Because of my pregnancy, my doctor wanted me to get further advice and treatment from my OB. I felt worse on, and after vaco then I did before I took it was what worried me through the course of treatment. 2 Fridays ago I completed the vanco, and to be honest I still felt awful, I went through days of bad stomach issues and loose, but not watery bm's. I was constantly bloated, and had pressure, but I could never tell if was normal baby growing things or continued cdiff. I swear I could still see mucus in my stool, and I contacted my OB and spoke my concerns. He wasn't really wanting to retest, and by that time I understood, but when I went in to the doc for a possible UTI I told her he didn't want to retest, she went ahead and retested me for cdiff. I was terrified all the time that I still had it because other than a 2 day span in the beginning, my stools were mostly formed but still soft! I was terrified of giving it to my 3 year old, so I constantly was cleaning with clorox. Mentally, as well as physically this awful organism was taking it's toll on me. Pregnancy emotions amplified it all I am sure.
Anyways, that last visit was 2 days before the 2 weeks I have been off vanco. My family owns this practice, and my grandmother looked at the results Saturday and said they said negative, but told me to call into the office Monday (today) to double check, and my doctor signed off on them and the results are negative!!! I am so relieved, I pray I am one of the lucky ones and never have to deal with cdiff again. I know I will be extra cautious about antibiotic use, and I will refuse the culprit that caused it unless it's my only option, and I'll be worse without it. I am still having stomach problems, and I read it is not uncommon to have digestive issues, and I am going to do my best to change my diet. Even though I never posted before, this site was so helpful, and I promise to post periodically to let people know where I am at in my recovery.

gwang
Regular Contributor

Re: Negative test!

Postby gwang » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:10 pm

@sb91 Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

Heart goes out to moms who are prego and deal with c-diff. Please keep us updated.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Sorry to hear you got C diff, and really hope the single course of vanco will be all you need! Hopefully your mother in law won't relapse either and your family can move forward C diff free :). Hopefully your bladder irritation will clear without needing medication too. You now have a good excuse to avoid your MIL if she isn't super fantastic too?

susant
Regular Contributor

Postby susant » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

Vanco messes with my bladder!! It took me a good couple of weeks before it went away. So glad you're negative!!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:04 am

Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting. There is also a lot of good information on this site. You probably have read a lot of it already.

It is nice that you are able to post in this section. I can imagine that it is even more difficult fighting this disease while pregnant. Just to reinforce that good hand washing practice prevents passing c diff on to family members.

I am wondering if you are taking probiotics. Most GI drs do recommend taking probiotics to help repopulate your gut with good bacteria so you can better fight off c diff. If you read our posts you will find that most of us take them and you can get an idea of what works for us.

Best of luck and hopefully you will be one of the vast majority who will be fine after only 1 or 2 rounds of meds.
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:21 am

I was going to suggest taking probiotics too, but since you are pregnant check with your doctor about which ones are ok.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:25 am

Cefdinir was the culprit for my c-diff as well. So sorry you had to endure this illness while pregnant. That is just awful. It sounds like you have beat it and moving forward. Wishing you continued improvement and no more c-diff! It's great that you were given Vanco right off the bat. That was the one good thing that came out of all this since you were pregnant. Thanks for sharing your story and keep us updated.

Lisa

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:58 am

Another welcome to the site.

When you said, "My family owns this practice," do you mean they are doctors? C diff spares no one. We've had several doc's and many nurses as c diff sufferers.

Feel better. Glad you are negative.

sb91
New User

Postby sb91 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Bobbie, yes, I have a family of practitioners. My grandfather is the owner of the practice, but I have more family that works there as PA's, MD's and nurses.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:21 am

sb91,

Glad you have professionals helping you. I wish more of us did.

Feel better. Please do keep in touch. Glad the site is helpful.

Am sure your baby will be fine. We have had many pregnant women post - they had successful pregnancies.

See CDI - Diagnosis and Testing. Latest info,is first.viewtopic.php?f=4&t=135#p42285. Note best time to test.

You might have IBS now. About one out of five develop it after c diff. See CDI - IBS and CDI- Three Day Rule.

Return to “Success Stories”