Success after one round of meds

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Success after one round of meds

Postby Cm1619 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:04 am

Hi all. I'm hoping my story can be of hope to anyone else. When I first got c diff I seemed to only read stories of those that relapsed many times and I was very fearful and had no hope in recovery with one round of meds. For me(so far) one round of Flagyl seemed to do the trick. I got my positive c diff test on April 8 after about a week of diarrhea. Started the meds that day-a 14 day round of 500mg, 3 times a day Flagyl. Had to stop the meds after day 12 due to the absolute worst side effects I've ever experienced. I remember thinking I'd rather get c diff again than deal with these meds. Wish I'd known then about alternative meds. Anyway, my doc thought 12 days would do the trick and it seems to have so far! Been c diff symptom-free for a little over a month. My symptoms stopped the day after starting Flagyl. The day I stopped the meds I had loose but not watery stools for about a week. Must have been the post IBS everyone talks about. A little over 2 weeks after the last Flagyl I had another weekend of IBS and tested for c diff just in case and it was negative. Now at a month out I am eating completely normal again with zero issues with anything I ate/drank before c diff. I know my case was mild but I'm hoping to give hope to others!! I think I got c diff from a topical antibiotic to treat adult acne. Of course, I'll post more updates in the future and hope I truly am in the clear!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Success after one round of meds

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 11, 2016 12:03 pm

Good news. Thx for posting. This is an inspiration for other. Many can't take Flagyl but it does work for some.

Dukiemom
Contributor

Postby Dukiemom » Wed May 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Congrats to you! I agree that I think it is good to balance all the stories of relapses with such a positive one as yours. The latest statistics are that 70% have the good outcome you have had but we posters here do seem weighted toward relapses because the need and desperation is so great, Thanks for sharing and best wishes for continued good outcome.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:29 am

I think what happens is the ones that don't relapse and are better after one round of meds don't tend to search online for the discussion/support groups. Although, I only dealt with it for a couple of weeks I was still desperate for answers and support. I cannot imagine dealing with multiple relapses and I am currently very afraid of it still happening to me. Almost every morning that I wake up I pray that it will be a normal day. I'm sure it will take many weeks, and months to not have this on my mind all the time. I meant to add above that dairy is the only thing that I haven't been comfortable introducing back into my diet. I've had bits here and there but that's how I was pre-c diff. I had slight issues with milk and cheese before this whole thing so I doubt I'll have more than tiny bits for quite some time!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 18, 2016 1:26 am

Agree, CM.we don't hear from ones who get better quickly.

Glad you are well.

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:49 am

Thank you. Awesome to hear. I have 8 days left on flagyl and am praying I'm in that fortunate 70%.

Return to “Success Stories”