Six months and I think it's over

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
HopeFull
New User

Six months and I think it's over

Postby HopeFull » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:20 am

It's been six months since that visit to Urgent Care, and I'm grateful to say I don't have any reason to think about this bug any more. Background: a round of clindamycin led to my C Diff infection, and I caught it early enough that the doctor on duty didn't think it was going to be C Diff. I took Flagyl for 2 weeks, along with Florestor, Culturelle, and enough Kefir to float a small kayak. The flagyl made me exhausted and the probiotics blew me up like a balloon for the first couple of days, but then they settled and I started feeling a lot better. I'm aware of my gut sensations in a way I wasn't before, so there may still be some sensitivities. Cheese gave me a lot of trouble for a while, but that's improving too; I'm more likely to have trouble with soft than hard varieties. So I feel safe saying I have recovered from the C Diff. I do feel that my immune system has taken a beating, if a nasty viral infection is any indication, and am doing my best to build back up again. Fortunately, fruits and vegetables are once again on my "tolerated" list, so that should help.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Six months and I think it's over

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:26 am

Congratulations HopeFull on your six months! Thanks for posting and giving hope to others suffering through it now. It does take time for your body to build back up and feel on track again, but it does happen. I'm so glad you are doing well. I love your description of drinking "enough Kefir to float a small kayak." LOL That is great!

Good luck to you and thanks for updating us on a positive story.
Lisa

Dukiemom
Contributor

Postby Dukiemom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:38 am

Hopefull you make all of us who are still counting days full of hope. And the idea of a life with fruits and vegetables, let alone cheese, sounds like Heaven. So happy for you.

AleH
New User

Postby AleH » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:31 pm

This is wonderful to read. The light at the end of the tunnel!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Congrats. Thx for posting to give others hope.

Sweet
New User

Postby Sweet » Wed May 18, 2016 10:57 am

Can you take probiotics when your on antibiotic for c diff?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:58 am

Hi Sweet - Please read the first forum for new users that explain rules of posting, introduction, testing, etc.

To answer your question, you can take probiotics while on antibiotics. However, if you are taking probiotics with live bacteria, such as VSL-3 or Culturelle, you should space them apart at least 2 hours because the antibiotic will kill them off. Yeast probiotics such as Sacchromyces Boulardii (i.e. Florastor) are not killed off by antibiotics. Kefir is another beneficial probiotic drink that you may want to get to help replenish good gut bacteria.

Return to “Success Stories”