Almost 2 years

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
naaple
New User

Almost 2 years

Postby naaple » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:48 pm

I got c diff about two years ago. I was hospitalized, relapsed, did a Vanco taper and good probiotics to get rid of it over the course of a few months. But dealing with the after effects, the emotions, the changed health, has taken much longer. C diff was extremely traumatizing mentally. I think that has been the hardest part of the recovery. I still think of it almost every day. And I'm terrified about the eventuality of taking antibiotics. But what I want others to know is that life goes on. By most accounts I have returned to a normal life. My job is physically demanding, I work long hours with poor food and lack of hygiene for days or weeks on end. I work out, hike and lift weights, and can pass physical tests needed for my job. I also have young kids to chase around. I am living life. I remember feeling very sorry for myself. I was in excellent health and a relatively young thirty something with a young baby when I got sick. I didn't deserve it. But no one does. I won't go into detail about what helped me get better since everyone has their own process and what works for one person may not work for another. But I did find good support (my husband was my rock), exercise (even when I could barely walk) and good nutrition to be the cornerstone of recovery. I eat a mostly primal diet-fats, protein, vegetables, no wheat or sugar, very little dairy. Fermented foods when I can. When I go on work assignment and eat poorly, I can feel the difference. I guess in the end I just want to say for those of you fighting this horrible disease, never lose hope. It's ugly and sometimes you want to give up, but don't. Be your own advocate, or find someone to help you. Doctors are great, but you must take charge of your own health. Take care, everyone!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Almost 2 years

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Thank you so much naaple for sharing your success story. It is so great to hear the positive outcome. It gives hope and strength to those still suffering on this site. I'm so glad you are doing well.

Thank you,
Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks so much for updating us here, it is wonderful to read that you have "moved forward' through this illness. It has been difficult and I appreciate you telling it like it is . I cannot agree with you more about Healthcare, it is a battle with this illness and thankfully you have a supportive husband helping you work through.
I wish you the best

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:20 am

Naples,
Thank you for posting your story. It gives many hope.Best to you.

Return to “Success Stories”