One year later

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
mjmcgetr
Regular Contributor

One year later

Postby mjmcgetr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:04 pm

I feel guilty that I haven't posted here. C diff can really mess up your mind and I went through a lot of therapy after. My therapist thought it would be best if I took a nice long break from any support sites as I was having trouble moving past this time in my life. But after a good session she thought it might help for me to post here.
So I guess to start I had a difficult pregnancy and horrible birth experience in October 2014. I came down with a uterine infection and was readmitted after my daughter was born by c section. I also had a horrible uti. I was given tons of abx on top of those I already had for c section. I remember the exact day I came down with c diff Nov. 14th, 2014. My body was too weak from the pregnancy and c section to fight it off. I went through 3 rounds of vanco and deficid. Nothing was working so I decided to do an FMT. It has been a long journey for me. I have slowly started recovering in the past few months but it took time and patience. I am still on the road to recovery but wanted to say that it is doable. I still stuggle with PI –IBS and some tiredness. The things that have helped the most are life style. I went on the AIP diet which is a gut healing diet that has been amazing in regard to allowing me to enjoy food. You can learn more about it here http://aiplifestyle.com/what-is-autoimm ... ocol-diet/. I think it is really important to realize that recovery after c diff requires a lot of work you are not going to be the same gut wise for a very long time if ever. You cannot eat a standard American diet and expect to heal. You need to work hard on your diet to heal the lining of your intestines. You also need to focus on foods that feed good gut bacteria especially foods high in resistant starch.

Don’t forget that seeing a therapist can help with the anxiety !

Another helpful thing is fermented foods, probiotics and supplements. Fermented foods like kraut and water keifer are easily bio available and increase good gut bacteria. Cycling through high quality probiotics increases the variation of good gut bacteria and should be taken often. It is also important to remember that when your gut is damaged you may not be absorbing minerals and vitamins so supplementing will be helpful. Honestly I could go on and on with everything I have learned in this healing journey.

But I think the most important things is that curing c diff is not the end it is only the beginning of healing your body. It takes work and research and dedication. If you can afford it or your insurance covers it I would see a ND and get a comprehensive stool test in order to determine what types of bacteria you are lacking. The most frustrating part of this whole thing was that most regular doctors are done with you once you test negative. You are essentially on your own to heal and often the issues remaining after “cure” can be as bad as c diff itself. You still need so much help and guidance and you are really on your own. I would be happy to share more of what I have learned and talk about what I use and how I use it. I hate to think that people out there who are negative are on their own and could potentially spend years struggling. I also think that there are tons of new probiotic and fmt type cures on the horizon for PI –IBS so stay updated , keep researching and most importantly if you don’t feel good after your are supposedly cured keep looking !!!!!!! I myself am considering FMT pills from open biome as I still have some issues and I think this would really help ! I was a bad case and it was tough so everyone may not experience what I did but the fact that I am getting better means almost anyone can! PM with any questions or advice! I probably won’t check very often as I don’t want to get back in to a dangerous cycle but I will get notifications by email I will respond.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: One year later

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. I am so glad you are doing better. You are so right when you say that once you are "cured" of c-diff, most doctors feel that everything is back to normal. It is so the opposite, as most are left with PI-IBS, food intolerances and acute anxiety. I had gotten c-diff, right before you in September 2014. I am just about at my year anniversary from my last vanco pill. I still have IBS issues at times. I am planning on posting in success stories at some point this month. It is nice for many on this board to hear some positive news. I can also appreciate you taking a break from the support sites as it can keep you in the midst of the anxiety.

So glad you are doing well.
Lisa

mjmcgetr
Regular Contributor

Postby mjmcgetr » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:32 pm

So glad you are a year out too Lisa ! Will be glad to read your story !

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:05 pm

What are foods high in resistant starch?

Lee S
New User

Foods High in Resistant Starch

Postby Lee S » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:46 pm

Ashley,

There are four types of resistant starch:

RS Type 1: Starch is physically inaccessible, bound within the fibrous cell walls of plants. This is found in grains, seeds, and legumes.

RS Type 2: Starch with a high amylose content, which is indigestible in the raw state. This is found in potatoes, green (unripe) bananas, and plantains. Cooking these foods causes changes in the starch making it digestible to us, and removing the resistant starch.

RS Type 3: Also called retrograde RS since this type of RS forms after Type 1 or Type 2 RS is cooked and then cooled. These cooked and cooled foods can be reheated at low temperatures, less than 130 degrees and maintain the benefits of RS (6). Heating at higher temperatures will again convert the starch into a form that is digestible to us rather than “feeding” our gut bacteria. Examples include cooked and cooled parboiled rice, cooked and cooled potatoes, and cooked and cooled properly prepared (soaked or sprouted) legumes.

RS Type 4: This is a synthetic form of RS that I’m including for completeness, but would not recommend. A common example is “hi-maize resistant starch.”

Once RS reaches the large intestine, bacteria attach to and digest, or ferment, the starch. This is when the benefits of RS are received.

RS intake allows for increased production of butyrate by our gut microbes. Butyrate reportedly acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory agent for the colonic cells, and functions to improve the integrity of our gut by decreasing intestinal permeability and therefore keeping toxins in the gut and out of the bloodstream.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:49 am

Thnks :)

Return to “Success Stories”