10 yr old son C Diff free

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
artcgirl
Regular User

10 yr old son C Diff free

Postby artcgirl » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:14 am

Hello, I wanted to give an update on our son. A year ago, our son was a healthy(slightly overweight), no IBS syptoms, 9 yr old boy. He had a ear and sinus infection and was given Amoxicillin. That didn't get rid of the ear pain so, we went back and he was given an adult dose of Cefdinir. That is when the Cdiff nightmare began. From Sept 2014 till Jan or Feb 2015, he had c diff 3 times. Through it all, I have learned more about C diff on here than from the doctors we have dealt with. His GI is saying he has Ulcerative Colitis, but I am not 100% sure. His first biopsy did not prove this. Anyway, getting off of Prednisone and Prilosec helped get rid of C diff. Also, using good S Boulardi probiotics helped as well. Through the months, it was a balancing act between the medicine for his inflammation, bleeding and the meds for C Diff. I think the Vanco taper helped as well. Another thing I found(the doctor doesn't agree), is that one of the medicine he was on for months was causing rectal bleeding, Colitis type symtoms, dizziness, loss of appetite, nausea, etc. It's called Apriso and is for IBD. She gave him this even though his biopsy did not support UC or Crohn's. I recently wrote down all the meds they were pushing from Aug 2014-May 2015, it's a long list! If the colon has been attacked by C diff, wouldn't some of these meds keep the colon from healing? We are still figuring this out, but he has been C Diff free since Feb. After removing the Apriso, he has solid BM, no pain or blood for 5 weeks now. He is on Remicade(strong medicine for UC and Crohn's), but I'm not sure he needs it. I still believe this whole nightmare has been from the overuse of antibiotics. Either way, our son has his personality back, gained weight again, runs, rides his bike, plays with his friends, etc. It took 11 months to get to this point. I hope and pray that everyone can get to this point. One more thing,I also think a diet helped kill off some bad bacteria. The diet is called SCD. It's very strict and we could not try it for very long since our son is a picky eater. Also, doing dairy and gluten free gave his insides a rest. We continue with the Gluten free, we may have a cheat meal here and there. One more odd thing, he developed a mild allergy to peanuts. His face and ear would get very red and itchy. The kids lived on peanut butter and jelly...I think it has to do with the changing of the gut bacteria. Sorry for the scatter brained post. It has been a long year! Thanks for thinking of our family <3
Terri

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: 10 yr old son C Diff free

Postby NanciT » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:37 pm

So happy to read about your son's recovery! It has been a long journey for him...and you both. It's sounds like he is well on his way to health!
The doctor issues is one I have read over and over and experienced myself. I changed Gi's several times, I am on my 4th. The only thing I was thinking as I read your post is possible another opinion about the UC diagnosis especially with the medications they have him on. It may be something to consider.
I am a health are provider and have been my entire life, the first two GI's I knew very well for many years on professional level and referred patients to them myself over the years. It was shocking how little they knew about CDIFF and the current medications.

Hoping improvement continues with you son and the UC and medications he is on.

Thanks for the update, so happy to read good news!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:03 pm

Glad you posted, Terri. So glad he is doing better. Know you are, too.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:42 pm

This is such great news, Terri! I have followed your posts throughout and know how hard this has been for you all to go through. No mom wants to see their child suffer in any way, and this was some battle. Thank you for posting in success stories as there are so many moms who are in the same boat as you, and this gives them hope. I know that your son still has GI issues to deal with, but hearing that he is back to being an active little boy again, playing, running, etc. is just awesome news!!! Cefdinir is what caused my c-diff as well in Sept 2014. I was fortunate to have relapsed only once on Flagyl, and Vanco is what cured me. I'm 9 months out now, and I would say it took me 8 months to get back to "normal" BMs. I still take probiotics and live in fear of needing an antibiotic, but I'm so grateful to be over c-diff and its misery. I also chose to eat gluten free, which really helped me during recovery.

I wish you all continued health and so glad things are a lot better for your son. Thank you for posting the good news!
Lisa

Misscshell24
Long Time Contributor

Postby Misscshell24 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Terri! Thank you so much for coming back and posting. I think about you and your son and am very happy to hear he is on the road to recovery and healing. I know how rough things were for you, your son, and family. I wish you all continued healing and good health!
Michelle

artcgirl
Regular User

Postby artcgirl » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to read his story and your encouraging words,it means a lot. Yes,it has been a tough year between my son and my dad. Our son is doing amazing and I credit it to getting him off of Apriso. The nurse and doctor don't see that. They prescribed this when it wasn't confirmed he had UC. I'm happy my husband is on the same page now and looking forward to seeing a new doctor Sept 14. I still feel the GI issues are all from C diff,pumping him full of meds and bad side effects from C Diff. It makes sense if they were prescribing Prednisone and Prilosec,then the relapses in C diff. I am getting all my ducks in a row. I think the S Boulardi probiotics,Zantac instead of Prilosec and getting him off of the prednisone and steroid enemas helped keep c diff away. Now,I'm fired up again seeing how well he's doing after taking the medicine away. What if this UC has all been misdiagnosed because of C Diff and pumping him full of meds? He's had a colonoscopy and 2 flex sigmoid scopes through all of this as well. Anyway, things are definitely looking up! Thanks again for being so wonderful and caring about my son ❤️
Terri

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:46 pm

You are a great mom and advocate for your son, I think many are on unnecessary meds because doc's don't know what else to do with us.

Keep in touch.

Hugs and good wishes.

grace104
New User

Postby grace104 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:30 am

Terri,

It has been many months since I Iast visited the forum, but I've wondered how you and your son were doing. I'm so thrilled to see your post in SUCESS STORIES! What a roller coaster it has been your family. I'm so glad that you finally have resolution. I wish you son continued good health!

Grace
Grace

Return to “Success Stories”