I survived c-diff thanks to alternative treatment

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
blondie
Brand New Poster

I survived c-diff thanks to alternative treatment

Postby blondie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm new to this board and have loved feeling like I'm not alone in my c-diff journey (although it's sad to see so many people suffering with this awful bug).

My c-diff started when I was given antibiotics to treat an infectious disease. It went on all summer, coming back negative in tests by my infectious disease doctors, but with all the symptoms that I would later learn were a sure sign of trouble. Toward the end of the summer, I went to the ER at one point with diverticulitis that were rupturing (at age 36m with previously healthy bowels) and bloody, squiggly diarrhea. Convinced that I had c-diff, I told the ER doctors to test for it. They referred me instead to psych, too much stress they said. So the bug went uncheck for 3 months, and all the while I was taking ever increasing doses of multiples of antibiotics.

So you guys know how this ends up. I had abdominal surgery to remove a growth, was given cipro prior on top of my other antibiotics and amoxycillin during surgery. Came home from the hospital with THE worst diarrhea, went back to ER two days later. Told them "I have c-diff". They said I didn't. Gave me more IV amoxycillin. Finally a nurse ordered a c-diff test when my surgeons refused, and I received confirmation by 3 days in. But at that point I was entering into sepsis and nearing toxic megacolon stage. I was young, and had 4 small children, and wanted to live. I was so ill that doctors told me I had a very bad prognosis and was too ill for colon removal, having just come out of major surgery a few days prior, and they sent the chaplain in to talk to me about leaving my children in God's hands.

Fortunately I was in a hospital with an alternative medicine department, and I asked for a consult. They used oils and herbs and probiotics and HCL, and I instantly started to respond. Here's the link to my whole story on my health coaching blog. http://dearmrsgreen.com/my-survival-story-and-protocol/

Following discharge from the hospital, I did have a few small relapses which I took care of with the natural protocol. It's been over a year now and I'm utterly c-diff free, supposedly. It's so hard to rebuild your stomach after something like c-diff, I struggle with leaky gut, food intolerances, HUGE vitamin deficiencies (especially B's), and reestablishing good probiotics. If I could have afforded it, the fecal transplant would have been my first choice and I may still try one if my tummy troubles and absorption issues don't subside. BUT, be hopeful. Not that many months ago I was told that I would die or lose my colon, and neither were true. I survived late stage c-diff and hope to make a full recovery soon, and so can you. Be strong and know that this can pass just as quickly as it came:)

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: I survived c-diff thanks to alternative treatment

Postby seekingcure » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:11 am

Hi Blondie,
Thanks so much for sharing the story of your battle with c-diff. You certainly had a rough time. The best doctor I ever had told me when I first met him that "if I listen to my patients, they will tell me what is wrong with them." Too bad your doctors at the ER hadn't learned that lesson yet. Many of us are still struggling with some of the same issues as you and I still have my share of tummy issues over a year out from c-diff treatment. I was on Vancomycin for around six months and all those antibiotics did a number on my GI system. I also had suffered with IBS for many years prior to c-diff, so I have had a deficit of good bacteria in my colon for many years apparently. I have started making my own homemade kefir and it seems to be helping with my IBS. Since you are interested in natural treatments, this is something you might enjoy also. It has a lot of B vitamins in it, especially if you do a second fermentation on it. It also has digestive enzymes, so I drink a small glass with every meal. Seems to help with my GERD also. Homemade is supposed to be more beneficial than store-bought (although that is certainly better than nothing) and it's really easy to make. I also eat Bubbies sauerkraut (as much as I can get down. I'm not a big fan!) and dill pickles. Hoping to try my hand at making my own pickles this summer.

So glad you found something that worked for you and hope you continue to improve daily.
Bea

Return to “Success Stories”