10 weeks post-C. diff treatment

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
keep-hope
New User

10 weeks post-C. diff treatment

Postby keep-hope » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with C. diff on November 13 and consequently underwent two rounds of metronidazole to treat it. I was sicker than ever after the initial 10-day course, so I was prescribed a second 7-day course with the assurance that the next line of defense would be vancomycin if the metro didn't kick it. When I began my second round of metro, I also started supplementing with a powerful probiotic and Saccharomyces boulardii, and made a concerted effort to be mindful of my diet. My C. diff symptoms were atypical; my D was not severe, but my nausea and lethargy were. A doctor friend of mine encouraged me to eat even if I didn't feel like it, and I really started to feel better when I began the second round of meds in combination with probiotics and forcing myself to eat frequent, small, nutrient-dense meals. I finished the metro on December 3 and followed up with my doctor, who felt that my symptoms were resolved enough to let my body begin to heal itself. I have continued taking probiotics every day.

Nailing down an appropriate diet was a challenge. My digestion remained abnormal, seemingly regardless of what I ate or refrained from eating. I had a scare in early January when I was sure I had C. diff again, but I tested negative via PCR. I decided to try a completely grain-free diet with very little added sugar and lots of fermented foods and homemade yogurt, along the lines of the SCD diet (as outlined by Elaine Gottschall in her book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle) in an attempt to reset my digestion, and I am pleased to report that after a month on this diet, my BMs are almost completely back to normal. I have cautiously begun adding grains and sweet treats back into my diet in moderation, and so far have suffered no ill effects. The only symptom I still struggle with is an odd one; I occasionally wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, and my heart races briefly. My doctor hasn't been able to figure out what is causing this, and I'm hoping it just kind of stops on its own!

I know my case was mild in comparison to what many of you go through, but I just wanted to post my experiences in case someone may benefit in some way.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: 10 weeks post-C. diff treatment

Postby seekingcure » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Thank you so much for coming back and posting your success story to help others who are still dealing with c-diff and its aftermath. I have also added fermented foods to my diet in hopes of improving my digestion. I will have to check out the book you mentioned. Hope you continue to do well.
Bea

Return to “Success Stories”