This too shall pass

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
MichelleSA
Brand New Poster

This too shall pass

Postby MichelleSA » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 am

One Friday night I just began throwing up. The next day I started with diarrhea. I didn't eat or drink much till Sunday. I thought I was going to pass out so went to the hospital on Sunday evening and was put on a drip.

Eleven days after it started, still unable to eat properly and getting much worse, I landed up in hospital once more in isolation for two weeks diagnosed with C Diff (and not Ebola thank G-d which I was quizzed about as I am in Africa). I had never spent even one night in hospital before despite being 46. I found the treatment horrendous - having to swallow Flagyl - it just made me vomit to bring it near my face. Eventually I was told to crush the pills and put them in capsules which works really well. I found drinking vancomycin in fruit juice (apple and mango juice is best) horrendous along with the other medication I was given -- really rough. Four times a day I used to take my tray of cocktails and ice (which was essential) and sit on the toilet for up to an hour and a half as everything just passed right through me. I used to come back to my room, and then used to go on anti-vomit via my drip. Truly a revolting experience. I spent hours rocking myself (to calm myself), I didn't know how I was going to survive...

I had never heard of C Diff and went online to read up on it. It did not make for happy reading. I read stories of people who died, whose lives were destroyed, people who never recovered. I began praying. There's a Jewish prayer called Asher Yatzar, which is said every time you go to the toilet. It thanks G-d for the marvel and the miraculous nature of the human body. I still say it now every time. It became very apparent to me that something I had taken so for granted, and never had any issues with - the functioning of my digestion system - was never to be taken for granted again.

I had a gastroscopy and colonscopy and I was found to have the start of an ulcer.

There was a sign in the hospital that said, "This too shall pass." I didn't believe it at the time.

Eventually I left the hospital after 14 nights. My clothes were hanging as I lost around 7kgs there. (Best diet I ever tried - one egg white for breakfast, butternut soup for lunch, butternut soup for dinner).
It's now almost three months later. I am well. I never put back the weight I lost which is also a miracle;-)
I was still throwing up when I left the hospital but after being vigilant about what I ate - egg whites, potatoes no skin, yellow vegetables, diluted soup, bland chicken and fish and eventually yellow hard cheese. I was totally NEUROTIC and anxious about everything I put in my mouth - after about a month I was doing well again. Since then I have reduced sugar and flour in my diet.

And how did I get it? Well that's a bit of a mystery. I may have picked it up when I went on the drip the first time in hospital - I was there about 4 hours! Or it was just a freak case. I hadn't been on antibiotics in over a year.

I have been blessed to overcome C Diff.

What I did - don't know what worked exactly:
Prayed every time I went to the toilet.
Asked others to pray for me.
Took that horrendous medicine.
Had a healer work on me several times.
High doses of pre and pro biotics (9 strain).
Glyconutrients (Manntech advanced Ambrotose powder).
Became vigilant about what I called 'holy' food - if I varied from holy, I threw up.

I am so grateful and happy now every day for my good health!

Here's the prayer I say:
"Blessed are You, Hashem our G-d, King of the universe, Who formed man with wisdom and created within him many openings and many hollows. It is obvious and known before Your Throne of Glory that if even one of them ruptures, or if even one of them becomes blocked, it would be impossible to survive and to stand before You . Blessed are You, Hashem, Who heals all flesh and acts wondrously."

May you also be blessed to have a full and speedy recovery and may C Diff be wiped off the earth. It's horrendous.
Last edited by MichelleSA on Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: This too shall pass

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:46 am

Thank you so much for sharing this, Michelle. This was very uplifting to read and much needed!

Lisa

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: This too shall pass

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:19 am

I would send you our info. letter, but sounds as though you picked up your own knowledge - the hard way. Congrats. on your recovery.

Return to “Success Stories”