How I prevented the return of C-diff

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
webbmom
Brand New Poster

How I prevented the return of C-diff

Postby webbmom » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 am

Have been C-diff free for 5 months:) I remember how horrible it was and the tremendous fear that I would become re-infected after successful treatment. Just wished to share the things I did to prevent C-diff from getting me again. Perhaps i was just lucky or maybe it was one or all of the things that I did. This is my recommendation: Kill the germs and spores in your environment and prevent spreading new C-diff germs. C-diff spores can possibly live for up to 4 months on surfaces. I interpreted this to mean that you can re-infect yourself from C-diff spores and germs in your home. I disinfected with bleach to kill the germs and a hospital grade disinfectant to kill the spores. Bleach will not kill the spores. Also, I was VERY careful with personal hygiene while I had C=diff. I will not go into details about this to prevent embarrassing myself:) I believe probiotics to be very important. The ones I used had good research behind them, but I think i'm not supposed to post the brand names. Sacchramyces boulardi a healthy yeast and Lactobacilus GG have been shown to fight C-Diff. I used these in addition to a high and multi-cultured probiotic to re-populate my gut after Flagyl. Bone broth soup is said to help "seal" the gut. It won't cure c-diff but I ate a lot of chicken soup with bone broth mostly because that was all I could keep down, but it may have contributed to healing as well.

Post C-diff I have lingering problems with my gut which is not uncommon. The doctors call it post-infectious IBS. I finally think I have found a way to alleviate the symptoms of this too and am feeling better that I have in a long time!

roy
Administrator

Re: How I prevented the return of C-diff

Postby roy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:55 am

Congrats on a perfect recovery
One correction though
A solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water kills spores and active bacteria.
Its the hospital disinfectants that probably don't kill spores!

Marcy Alexander
New User

Postby Marcy Alexander » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Yes the bleach solution will kill the spores...but....you must mix it fresh everyday....the bleach disinfectant wipes that work are clearly labeled " kills c-diff spores ". I had to order them...the ones on store shelves do not kill them. Also my great grandson still has a rare flare up (1 time, this past week) that is usually when he drinks too much orange juice. I still faithfully give him one packet of the yeast type probiotic every night. Actually he has been healthier overall since he got well!

august14
Regular User

Postby august14 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Marcy Alexander wrote:
> Yes the bleach solution will kill the spores...but....you must mix it fresh everyday....the
> bleach disinfectant wipes that work are clearly labeled " kills c-diff spores ".
> I had to order them...the ones on store shelves do not kill them. Also my great
> grandson still has a rare flare up (1 time, this past week) that is usually when
> he drinks too much orange juice. I still faithfully give him one packet of the yeast
> type probiotic every night. Actually he has been healthier overall since he got
> well!

Where did you find out you have to remix it every day? I had no idea! I keep the wipes in our bathroom and a bottle of 1:10 bleach solution in ours and my daughters (which I actually don't use but I figured, why not.) I JUST switched from using only the wipes (because they got expensive.) Scary!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 pm

This is an old thread so you probably will not get a reply from the original poster
Its best to check the date to see if a threads still active
Please avoid using the quote feature
It looks untidy and uses up space on the thread
We lock threads after 2 pages so quoting means we lock it faster.
Simply reply to a poster by name and help keep us tidy.

Return to “Success Stories”