I am still here

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
wen23
Regular Contributor

I am still here

Postby wen23 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:09 am

Amazing..I am still here,body and mind in tact.
My journey started May 2013 . I went to the beach and stepped on a piece of coral which turned into nasty cellulitis.i was running quite a fever so my doctor prescribed clindamycin.As we all know about two weeks later everything went crazy. I tested positive for cdiff. I took a round of Flagyl thinking that would be the end of that. Wrong. Another round of Flagyl should stop it.Wrong then on July 09 I took a round of vancomycin. Apparently that did it..so one would think. My cdiff or the after effects did not miracously disappear..I took many tests maybe twice a month each time thinking it was back but it wasn't,t. I still felt awful but added florastor twice daily.i also drank kefir lots and lots of kefir. Avoided caffeine and added more probiotic rich foods. At six months out I still felt awful, but kept on trucking.I expressed my fears to my doctor who prescribed questran.Questran was a big help with dealing with my unpredictable bms. I still take it.Fast forward to today.I,m still on the fence on getting a colonoscopy I feel that I am quite stable and I don't want to disrupt things right now. I,m down to one florastor daily but I still drink kefir. Nothing is the same bowel wise, but I accept that it will never be.I stay positive,and avoid antibiotics. I took a round of macrobid a month ago with no problem. I really would like to thank everyone on this board for the support and holding my hand through this journey.You are all gems. Wen

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: I am still here

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:36 am

So glad you are finally doing better. Thanks for coming back and updating us. I'm glad we could help you through your cdiff journey, it helps so much to talk to others sufferers and see there is hope to someday feel better. Keep us updated as to how you do.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Glad you are better, Wen. You will eventually get back to "regular" but it might take awhile. You might have IBS - about l out of 5 do. The symptoms are similar. See CDI - IBS and CDI - Three Day Rule. Macrobid is one of the "safe" antibiotics and is effective against E. coli and several other bacteria in UTI's. See CDI - UTI's. Most people can tolerate it although a few are allergic to it. I don't know what to tell you about a scope. If you keep on improving, I would delay it as you have done.

Best to you and keep in touch. Enjoy the ocean and the beaches - we don't have either in Kansas.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 am

Wen:
Good to hear you are doing better and survived the Macrobid without a C. Diff recurrence. You are just a few months behind me in your recovery (mine started March 5, 2013). I still have issues with my colon and probably IBS, but each month gets a bit easier and more bearable with less pain. I just started Kefir today and will see if I can tolerate it (it was finally available at the market). I know I will feel better if I can get some probiotics in me without too much gas pain. Did you have any damage from the hurricane? I know you are in Hilo and it hit pretty hard there. Here on Oahu, we had a lot of wind and rain,but it wasn't any worse than a tropical storm. An old saying really helps me when I get a bit depressed about having to change my diet and lifestyle to accommodate this illness. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going". I think all of us who have survived the "beast" are pretty tough.
Take care,
Anne

Return to “Success Stories”