My run-in with CDiff

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
trailblazer
Brand New Poster

My run-in with CDiff

Postby trailblazer » Sat May 24, 2014 6:18 am

Early March I started having severe diarrhea. I happend to have an upcoming Dr's appointment and mentioned it while we talked about other things. I have slightly high BP thats controlled thru meds and not really a problem. I'm also pre-Diabetic that should be under control if I lay off the burgers n fries.

Just turned 40 with no other medical issues other than what ive mentioned above. I racked my brain trying to figure out how I caught this but finally gave up. 2 otf the Dr's that ive seen say there are more "community" type cases of this showing up. Very "Clean" person, No contact with known sick persons, My home builder uses my home to show new clients inside and out...

Anyways,My Dr's office has a lab and had me give a stool sample right away. A day later it came back positive for CDiff :(

She put me on Flagyl (sp?) for 10days and a few Lomotil tabs, but ONLY when needed to function at work,school...life.

Afterwards I purchased probiotics that I found via researching this and other boards.The brand I went with (via Amazon) was by JARROW Formulas. Saccharomyces Boulardii +MOS

I started out taking 1 in the am and 1 in the evening for the first week, Drinking LOTS of water

I also started drinking a Kefir probiotic by Safeway brands. They actually taste (Strawberry & Blueberry) really good, so I ended up drinking at least 2 per day along with the probiotic pills.

I wanted to post a picture I took of these two bottles but I don't think the feature has been activated on the boards.

So, After the first 2 weeks , I ramped up the the pill intake: 2 in the AM, 1 in the afternoon and 2 at night. I found that taking them before bed made for a better morning.

fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I made an appointment with a Dr. xxxxxx "name removed per forum rules" (Kirkland,wa) that specialized in Cdiff. He really put my mind at ease telling me that it can be "fixed" and not to worry so much. IF the flagyl didnt work, he'd go up to another type of antibiotic. If that didnt work, he does the fecal transplant and has had amazing results. He was VERY confident and I left the office feeling the same way. I reported this info back to my PCP and GI Dr.

A few days later ( which was last friday) I had a scheduled colonoscopy. I got the results this past tuesday and they were great....no damage :)

so, that brings me to this past thursday. I gave another sample to the lab...and today (friday) they sent a message thru my medical provider site that the results were in already.

I got the email notice and was pretty nervous to log-in and see the results...a few hours later and im typing out this good news right now :)

Sometimes my stomach feels a bit "uneasy" every now-and-then, but I know it will take time to fully recover from this. I still take my probiotic pills and drinks....I REEEALLY like the drinks!

geez, its 3am, tired but still excited...goin to bed now.....in my REAL bed.

-PTBF

Extra things I did around the house:
- Chlorox bleach toilet tabs..not the ones that turn your water blue..hate that look!
- Chlorox wipes to clean the countertops, sink handles,toilet handles.etc..asap after using the bathroom
- Learned to love the smell of lysol...not sure how effective it is
- moved into the second bedroom. used white sheets and pillow cases so they could get bleached everyday.
- im addicted to washing my hands now...not that I didnt before, but I seem to do it everytime I see a sink! LoL!!

I plan on giving that spare room an Ozone treatment before using it again, now that I get to sleep in my own bed again

Anyways, that's my story....So far, so good :)

Im just saying what worked "FOR ME". Please listen to your Doctors advice and good luck to everyone. My prayers are with you

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: My run-in with CDi

Postby Bobbie » Sun May 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Thank you for posting. So many don't but the success stories give hope to others.

Glad you are feeling better. C diff leaves many chronic hand washers.

trailblazer
Brand New Poster

Re: My run-in with CDiff

Postby trailblazer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:18 am

thank you Bobbie :)

I was still having a few issues... while my body is trying to get back to normal. I let my paranoia get the best of me and went in for another Lab sample last week. One day I really felt like it had returned..so I took in a sample.

I went back on the Probiotics and drinks (HEAVY) mentioned above and got back to "normal".

Well, Today I got back my new test results....good news! NEG for C-Diff.

PLEASE STAY POSITIVE! We can all beat this!!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:39 am

So happy for you. You will probably have other scares but now you know that your gut doesn't heal overnight and not to panic. I still have issues also but try to stay calm and let them run their course. Keep us posted as to how you do.
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 pm

Congrats, Trailblazer. You are evidently one of the lucky 70% who recover with one or two rounds of an antibiotic. Many can't tolerate Flagyl so you are doubly fortunate.

Thanks for the hints on what you did during your C. diff. episode. They might help someone. Thanks also for posting to give hope to others.

trailblazer
Brand New Poster

Postby trailblazer » Tue May 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Hi again...

I just wanted to post again in support of those fighting with CDiff still.

I haven't had any issues with it again , Thank God/Fingers crossed. One thing I had noticed was I had very little tolerance for super sugary drinks like soda...which we shouldn't be drinking anyway. It upset my stomach and it "felt" like the cdiff was returning...maybe it was nothing??

Every now and then I still make a shake with the Kefir drink. Mainly for the taste. I REALLY like it. Fresh strawberries and ice blended. It always helped when I was dealing with Cdiff.

Anyways, I just wanted to check in to see if there were any developments in treatment. I dont have it anymore, but it bothers me that so many are dealing with it still.

My thoughts and prayers to you all.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed May 13, 2015 7:02 am

So happy you continue on with a good recovery. there are many trials now and a cure seems around the corner. Won't that be a wonderful day. Glad you are living life CDiff free and update us again sometimes.
CAROL

Return to “Success Stories”