A month post CDiff

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
AnneK
Brand New Poster

A month post CDiff

Postby AnneK » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 pm

I am hoping, knock on wood, that I am finally past this monster. I contracted C.Diff after taking Macrobid for a UTI. I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration, and was tested for it while I was there. Thankfully I started treatment within 48 hours of starting symptoms. I probably have my ER nurse mother to thank for that, she was the one who insisted on the test.

I took a two week course of Flagyl, and took three culturelles a day along with it. At the end of my treatment, I changed to a Florastor in the morning then two Culturelles, one in the afternoon and then another before bed. Now, I take a culturelle in the afternoon, then a VSL-3 pill at night before bed. That regimen seems to be working for me!

I am now a month out from my last dose of Flagyl, and I am back to being perfectly normal. I had already suffered from IBS for the last several years, and thankfully this illness did not make it worse. I think I was actually thankful to already have dealt with IBS for so long, because I had already adjusted to the anxiety of "finding a bathroom everywhere I go". I am on an anti-spasmodic medication called methscopolam that I take daily for my IBS, and it works wonders for me.

Considering the boyfriend took me out to Lobsterfest last night and I devoured the Ultimate Feast with no problems, things are looking pretty good. :) Just wanted to let some people know out there that the 80% does exist, it's not just a fable. Good luck to everyone still dealing with this horrible illness.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: A month post CDiff

Postby seekingcure » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Congratulations! Good to hear that you are feeling better. Thank you for coming back and posting. It gives others hope that they, too, can beat this.
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: A month post CDiff

Postby Bobbie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:57 pm

Thanks for posting and giving others hope. Usually Macrobid is considered a "safe" antibiotic. I've taken it for years for chronic UTI's and IC. (50 mg. preventive.) 80% of all UTI's are caused by E.coli. Drink lots of water. Some have good luck with cranberry juice/pills and D-Mannose. See CDI - UTI's.

Thank God for your mother. Smart lady.

Glad you enjoyed the Ultimate Feast. Sounds delicious.

Return to “Success Stories”