5 Months Post FMT - C Diff Free / Digestive Issues

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jlr627
Contributor

5 Months Post FMT - C Diff Free / Digestive Issues

Postby jlr627 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:20 am

Hi everyone,

It's been 5 months since my FMT via colonoscopy and so far, so good - I am C Diff free. :) (knock wood) I battled it 3x over a period of a year and a half. I am quite regular now with my BM's (I average 2x a day). Although the C Diff is gone, I am not without after effects from having been ravaged by this nasty disease. My stomach is a bit slower to empty...I have some food intolerances to sugar and fatty foods...some IBS on occasion...gas...and general stomach discomfort from time to time. My doctor describes it as normal for having gone through what I did - like the after effects from an earthquake. I am hoping that my body heals and returns to a quasi-old normal in time. I am trying not to be anxious or catastrophic but it is hard to feel so compromised.

Has anyone else had this experience? I am grateful that the procedure stopped the infection but it wasn't a reset button as I thought it would be.

Jen

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 5 Months Post FMT - C Diff Free / Digestive Issues

Postby Bobbie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:37 am

Jen,
I've had IBS after every treatment for C. diff. including FMT. It lessens with time.

jlr627
Contributor

Postby jlr627 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:41 am

Hey Bobbie,

Thanks for responding. It's been about 5 months with the issues. Do you know of a time frame?

Thanks!
Jen

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:46 am

Hi Jen,
Thank you for posting back. I"m so glad you are cured of c-diff, but sorry to hear that you have on-going digestive issues. I had such high hopes for your "super poop" donor, lol! From reading others' experiences, I'm beginning to think that regardless of what treatment ultimately cures us of c-diff, we are likely to have some on-going problems, to one degree or another, for at least some period of time. I guess we just have to accept that we have had a major infection and it's going to take time for our bodies to heal and get back to normal. Hope your issues will continue to decrease as time passes.
Bea

jlr627
Contributor

Postby jlr627 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:51 am

It was indeed "super poop" :) I used to NEVER be regular, even before C-Diff...and now unless I eat something really bad for me...I have assumed the exact BM habits and look of my donor. 1x in the morning. 1x at night. I have fought off quite a few things that have effected others around me so it remains "super poop."

But yes...it doesn't change the fact that the damage was done. It stopped it but now we must repair. OY.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 am

That's good news, Jen. Sounds very encouraging to me for a complete cure after your digestive system has time to heal. If I relapse again (knock on wood that I don't), I might just have to make a little trip to NY.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 am

Time frame is different for everyone. I have been told an "average" is 12 - 18 months, but everyone is different. I have had problems for a few years now, but I have SIBO thanks to c diff and the treatments, including an FMT.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:18 am

It took me almost 2 yrs. to get back to almost normal, still not there yet but feel much better. Hang in there. I don't think my psyche will ever be the same. If I even think I am getting sick my mind goes right back to Oh God, what if I have to take an ATX. Then I panic. I guess some are better than others at this, it probably depends on how bad your symptoms were. Mine were so bad that if I even entertain the thought of Cdiff I go over the edge again. Hopefully as I get further away from it I will get better but for now I am still taking Ativan to keep the panic down. You sound like you are doing great so hopefully this is it for you also and you can go on and live a normal life. keep us posted. Carol
CAROL

Return to “Success Stories”