2 week after fmt ibs now

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
chainsaw
New User

2 week after fmt ibs now

Postby chainsaw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 am

i had fmt two week ago R.I i know that c diff is gone felt 100% for three day now have ibs .when i was on med i felt at 100% not sure if i should have had a fmt .before could eat drink everthing without problem! when on med. don't know if staying on med was the answer.but i hope someone can tell about their fmt and did they get close to 100% in time i know i ask same ? before but would like to hear from more fmt user about their ibs and i hope good new .carol was nice to answer my ? and told me how to use this site. i am new to the comptur as you can see . any advice will be helpful thank you chainsaw.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 week after fmt ibs now

Postby amyc » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

You may need to get tested for C diff just to make sure it's gone. In about 10% of cases you could need either a single course of vancomycin or a repeat FMT to get a 100% cure. If the test is negative it's safe to assume you are dealing with IBS and then treat it accordingly. Pepto bismol works well to control symptoms, as does questran powder or colestipol tablets. C diff can cause damage to the colon and make you dairy intolerant for a while, so try getting off dairy products to see it it helps you. Yogurt and kefir are usually made with cow's milk and can cause the same problem as milk, ice cream, cheese, etc so drop those from your diet too. Soy milk is a good substitute for me and has the same protein as dairy milk.

chainsaw
New User

Postby chainsaw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:51 pm

did you have fmt done and how long ago do you have ibs now to or is it getting better with time thank you for you time chainsaw

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Someone who has had a FT will come on shortly and give you some advice. I didn't have one myself but I certainly had horrendous IBS after meds. YOu do feel better on meds and seems like you can eat anything but when you come off the meds look out, the I"BS kicks in for some. Have you discussed some of this with the Dr. and got his advice as to what to take? I think some who have had the transplant do fine but I think its the same as with meds. Most people get some degree of IBS until the colon heals, which can take a long time. Amy gave you good suggestions so ask your Dr. about that. I hope you feel better everyday but unfortunately it is usually not an overnight process. You will get well though, so hang in there. Let us know how you do and you are doing fine with the computer if you are a beginner so you should be proud. Carol
CAROL

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:35 pm

A lot of people seem to develop IBS after c-diff. Whether it is caused by the c-diff itself, the antibiotics for c-diff or, in the case of those who had FMT, the FMT, is anybody's guess. C-diff itself wreaks havoc on your digestive system and the antibiotics further reduce the good bacteria. The FMT is supposed to reintroduce the good bacteria and then I think it takes time for the new good bacteria to re-establish and beat out the bad bacteria. Imagine it as sort of a race between the new good bacteria and the bad. No one can tell you how long it is going to take for your system to get back to normal, because it varies with everyone.

I agree with Amy, the first step might be to re-test to make sure the c-diff is actually gone and go from there. Then just treat the symptoms as they come. Pepto helps a lot of us, as well as prescription meds like Levsin or Bentyl, if your doctor prescribes them. Gas-x helps with gas and bloating. Possibly keep a food diary to see what agrees and what doesn't and eliminate those things that cause you problems for awhile. Dairy is a common culprit.

Did the doctor who performed your FMT advise you on diet after the FMT? Some doctors recommend eating extra fiber to "feed" the good bacteria; things like oatmeal, beans, hummus, lentils, whole grains, etc. You might contact your doctor and see what he advises in this regard. But be aware that too much fiber can also cause excess bloating and gas, so don't overdo. Also consider asking your doctor about adding a good probiotic. Some doctors recommend probiotics following FMT and some don't, so be sure to contact your doctor for his advise before adding anything.

I didn't have a FMT myself, but also could eat anything while on Vanco and then had worse symptoms after coming off it, so it seems to be a fairly common occurrence after c-dif and any kind of treatment.
Bea

chainsaw
New User

Postby chainsaw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:48 pm

getwellsoon i did talk to doctor she is sure cdiff is gone. just ibs told me to eat small meals and see what work for me. but i would like to hear from some one that as had fmt a tell me that the ibs got better for them in time to give me hope. thank you carol you have ben great i am not sure how to do thing for sending thing to any one person to carry on this talk seekingcure did you ibs ever settle down?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:49 pm

chainsaw,
See the FMT Information forum. I've listed some of our posters (last topic) who had successful FMT's and indicated which ones agreed to be contacted. Why don't you contact them?

I had one two years ago that was successful in banishing C. diff. but left me with IBS which eventually tapered. I've had C. diff. a number of times, however, and IBS after each type of treatment.

chainsaw
New User

Postby chainsaw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:32 pm

bobby sorry i dont know how to go to that site can you help me or how to talk to anybody i am just learing the compter dont no what to do, thank you for any help you can give me or ask them to contack me please i would like to talk to them i look for the site can find it please bear with me i need help

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:24 pm

chainsaw: Click on "Board Index" at top left of this page. That will take you to a list; click on "FMT Information," which will take you to another page. At bottom, it will say "Posters' Experience with FMTs and FEs."

I think it might be easier, though, if Bobbie or one of the other mods could reach out on your behalf to a couple of the people mentioned on that last page, as you would need to search for those posters further to get their contact info. The technical aspects of our site can be confusing even to those of us who have been on it for awhile.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Did you receive an intro. letter telling you how to use the site. If not I'll send you one.

Go to the 2nd forum - FMT Information and double click on the title. It will bring up a list of topics. The people who are willing to talk about their FMT''s are in the last forum. Put their name in the search box (top right hand side of the page) and then click. The name should take you their profile which has their email and the word PM. Just click on PM and you will reach them.

Good luck.

chainsaw
New User

Postby chainsaw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 pm

bobby no letter so send me one please i am not sure how to use site but will try now ,sorry for all the trouble just cant get handle on all this thanks to all that are try to help me.when i click on board index sorry i dont see fmt info i dont know what i am doing wrong! do you thing you could ask them to find me please it sure wood be easyer for me just like Allis S said. thank you.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 pm

chainsaw, I will check on this and let you know. Sorry you're having so much trouble finding your way around the site.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

chainsaw
New User

Postby chainsaw » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:18 pm

Allis S thank you for all your help i dont have a clue i hope you are doing good at least ? wish they can get a hold of me sure would be easyer.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:28 pm

hi again chainsaw. I'm not really sure how I can help you with this, much as I'd like to. I will send you the Welcome Letter now. I think your best bet is to read it and spend some time on the site to try and get used to some of its features. You will get more out of the site if you get more comfortable with using it yourself.

Meanwhile I will take a look and see if I can find the names of one or two of the posters who agreed to be contacted about FMT. But it will still be you who will need to have the exchange of messages with them, as I can't convey your concerns secondhand in any meaningful way. Which means you will need to send them a Private Message (PM). I will try and get this info for you tomorrow morning if not tonight.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 pm

STANDARD INTRO LETTER: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum, All Users Read This First, and the subtopic Guidelines for Posting to Our Discussion Boards. (Note limit on posting length.) They will guide you in using the site and answer some frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody’s article and topics in CDI – C. Diff Info – Formerly FAQ, including Tests, Hygiene Tips, and Nutrition. Also read The C. Diff Bible at http://apic.org/Resource_/EliminationGu ... fFinal.pdf.

The majority (about 80%) recover with one or two rounds of Flagyl or vancomycin. A small percentage do not. Most people eventually recover unless there are factors such as advanced age or other severe health problems. New treatments include fecal infusions and Dificid. (See FMT Information and Treatments.) Other drugs and treatments are in the pipeline, and there is increased recognition of C. diff.

If antibiotics contributed to your C. diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI – Antibiotics Most Likely to Cause C. Diff/Antibiotic Resistance.) Some people tolerate them; some develop C. diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article.) Don’t take medications for C. diff unless you are tested. (See CDI – Tests.)

For further information, see http://www.peggyfoundation.org/ and several other support groups on Facebook. Also, visit reputable medical sites, such as www.mayoclinic.org and www.webmd.com.

This is a support site, not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice, but we can tell you what did or did not work for us. No one will understand exactly what you are going through unless they have had this unpredictable disease. The best protection, for you and others, is thorough hand-washing and good overall hygiene.

Although we know how devastating C. diff can be physically, mentally, and financially, this is not a fundraising site. We rarely ban posters unless they are verbally abusive, combative, or insulting; use inappropriate language consistently; or attempt to sell something through the site, in which case we usually issue a warning first.

Again, welcome. Remember, the odds are in your favor.

Return to “Success Stories”