Success after CDiff

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Eklein315
Brand New Poster

Success after CDiff

Postby Eklein315 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone who posted their success stories on this website. When I had C Diff 2 months ago, I felt so lost and helpless- you feel like its taken over your life and everything is put on hold. I'd like to share what I found to be helpful to me!

I got C Diff in early November- not quite sure how. I'm a healthy 30 year old female that's never had stomach issues before this infection. I wasn't on antibiotics when I contracted it so I must have gotten it from someone else that had it, touching my food maybe? After a week of having the nasty symptoms- diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, body aches, I found out through a stool sample that I did in fact have c diff. The doctor put me on metronidazole and I felt better after a few days but then a week into taking it, I had a bad reaction to it- felt so drained, weak and continued to have diarrhea. After 7 days of metronidazole my doctor switched me to vancomycin. I took the vanco and within a few days started to feel functional but not 100%. After 2 weeks of vanco and being somewhat functional, I asked the doctor if I could taper off for a few weeks because I had heard it helps. I then tapered with vanco for 3 more weeks while also taking 3 probiotics- Align, Culturelle and Florastor. I'd say after 4 1/2 weeks of suffering I started to feel better. Once the taper started I felt better but still wanted to take the meds a few weeks to really kill this sucker! I took the vanco an extra 2 weeks after feeling normal. It's taken some time as well for my still and bm's to get back to normal. Also throughout the whole time I had c diff I bleached my clothing and the bathroom often to kill the spores.

What worked: vanco for 2 weeks plus a 3 week taper, 3 probiotics throughout, bland diet, bleaching clothing.

Also went to a nutritionist about my diet during this time and it was somewhat helpful. I found dairy to be tough as well as anything greasy. Following a diet of boiled potato, chicken, rice and hearty soups worked for me. I couldn't stomach the yogurt which people recommend.

I hope first time c diff sufferers find this helpful. I know this website helped me a lot! Thank you!

There is an end to it. Just be patient and make sure you have a good doctor in your corner!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Success after CDiff

Postby beth22 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:28 am

Thank you for posting that. It gives hope to those who are still suffering. Wishing you all the best for a complete recovery and return to life as it was before c diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Success after CDiff

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Glad the site helped you, and thanks for posting your success story. Some people do develop C. diff. without being on antibiotics or hospitalized. Read the new CDC report for a list of some of the other factors.

Many can't tolerate Flagyl. Glad the Vanco worked. Stay well.

Return to “Success Stories”