It's gone??

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
thesciteach
New User

It's gone??

Postby thesciteach » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:01 am

Hi,
I was on an antibiotic for my tooth (amoxicillin) in October, then had a quick stay in the hospital that same month. Started having trouble with what I thought was my Crohn's Disease around the same time. Thankfully, my Cleveland Clinic doctor checked for C.Diff before I was more aggressively treated for the Crohn's.
I have a positive test for c.diff in early November. The doctor started me on 125 mg of Vancomycin for 10 days. I continued to work, but the only real thing that I did to help myself at that point was to take the meds almost exactly every 6 hrs. Completed the course of antibiotics. Started Align, but not right away, after 6 days.
After about two weeks, I was miserable. It came back WORSE. I couldn't eat. My weight kept dropping. I had terrible headaches, anxiety and depression. Tested positive again. This time was on 125 mg of Vanco for 14 days. I had to start drinking ensure to keep my weight up. Drank G2 for hydration and electrolytes. Potassium, magnesium and Vit D kept bottoming. Went on supplements for those. Started eating Greek Yogurt.
I got to day 10 on the antibiotics and was worse still. Didn't want to even get up. My husband had to start making phone calls to doctors and taking care of me. The doctor upped my vanco to 250 mg for 14 days. I started taking Align 2 hrs after the vanco. Doctor started me on Zoloft and Xanax (did NOT like that stuff). Stayed on all supplements. 2 Greek yogurts per day. Ensure. Blood work every three days to keep vit. at right levels. Around day 5 I started to perk up. Day 7 I was eating. The last 7 days of the vanco, I started feeling mostly normal again. After the vanco, I stopped the Align and started Florastor. I take it with the greek yogurt.
I'm almost at four weeks after antibiotics now. I'm back to work. I'm eating. Weight is stable and up slightly. I am still taking Florastor, greek yogurt, Zoloft, supplements. Every now and then I have something abnormal that freaks me out and makes me think it's back, but reading this site has helped me realize that I won't be totally normal for quite some time.
The only thing that I want to add is VSL3 at some point. I'm not sure when yet. I also want to be retested TWICE after the one month mark just for peace of mind. Here's hoping that I stay well and can avoid antibiotics!

thesciteach
New User

Re: It's gone??

Postby thesciteach » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:52 pm

Great advice Roy! Thanks!

saraht
Long Time Contributor

Postby saraht » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:33 pm

100% agreed with Roy. I wouldn't test unless you were sick again. I'm glad you are back to normal! That's wonderful news! Seems like you just needed a little more of the vanco to give c.diff a good kick in the butt.

I had tested once when I was feeling well, after the first time I had c.diff, and the only reason was because my boss wanted me tested due to working with sick and elderly in the nursing home.

Healing does take time, and I'm glad you're on the right path toward it. Best wishes!

-sarah

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:47 pm

So happy for you and I agree, no testing for a cure. If you feel good and no D you are good. Thanks for posting back. Carol
CAROL

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:59 pm

So happy all is going good for you. I love reading these posts as it gives me hope that one day this will be gone for me as well as for others.

thesciteach
New User

Postby thesciteach » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 am

Wellness in much more difficult to figure out when you also have Crohn's Disease. D is a part of my everyday life after having a foot of my bowel removed years ago. I am using appetite, positive mental status, and weight stability as indicators.

Return to “Success Stories”