Type of Diets Before Successful FMTs?

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
cdiffmomagain
New User

Type of Diets Before Successful FMTs?

Postby cdiffmomagain » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:42 am

Hi all - Wondering if successful FMT-folks could shed some light on what you and your donor ate leading up to it. I'm on Dificid until Jan 5 now, and I have some good days and some not good days. My doctor said no diet recommendations or restrictions, but one lovely member said she was on a low fiber diet and the donor on a high fiber diet leading up to her transfer. Just wondering if anyone else did this - or did you and donor just eat normally? Also, did anyone have their donor start probiotics?

Thanks!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Type of Diets Before Successful FMTs?

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Here's what I was told: stay on a low fiber diet (donor should be on high fiber diet) until the FMT. Then you (the donee) should begin adding fiber. Fiber is supposed to "feed" new bacteria. This was for FE's, however.

Doc. who did FMT didn't mention foods. I'd google and ask around some more. Check the LINKs section - FMT Foundation and post your question there. Also, there are several sites on FB. They say they are "closed" but you can apply for membership and it will be granted - as far as I know. I'm a member of both (altho. don't post much - tired of C. diff.)

Doc. said no probiotics or it will "mess with" new bacteria from transfer.

Return to “Success Stories”