2 weeks post FT

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
ncmimi4
Regular User

2 weeks post FT

Postby ncmimi4 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:16 am

Hate to jinx myself but am sooo excited I thought I would post this. Mine was a 3 day procedure, 1st day was a colonoscopy with an infusion. Day 2 and 3 were done by something that looked like a huge syringe in the office. No discomfort at all, had to lie with legs elevated for an hour after. I read a book while waiting. I was also given 5 (good bacteria capsules). Otherwise known as poop pills. It was two full days before I had to go to the bathroom. I was starting to worry that something was wrong but since then have had one completely normal BM in the morning. My instructions were to eat NO dairy, no gluten, no coffee or caffeine in anything else. I drink decaf tea. I am on Lialda because the colonoscopy showed moderate Colitis caused by the c diff. I am to follow this eating plan for several weeks and then gradually try a little dairy. The Dr. feels that gluten is a big problem for the gut and would like me to stay off it totally but I can try adding a little later on and see how it does. He said the longer you wait to let the new bacteria settle in the better. If I want to try Florastor it is ok but he thinks it will be fine without it. It can take a long time for the colitis to subside and everyone is different so I will be a good girl and eat what he said. I am going to make a batch of Rice Krispie treats right now. The whole thing was much easier than I anticipated and I am sorry I wasted 8 months of my life and thousands of dollars on medication before trying it. I do eat 2 tums with a meal for calcium.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 weeks post FT

Postby seekingcure » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:19 pm

That is absolutely wonderful! I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well. Are you the one who went to a doctor in Charlotte, N.C.?
Bea

ncmimi4
Regular User

Postby ncmimi4 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:28 pm

No, I went to a Dr. in Tampa Fl. I found him on the list of Drs on this site. Excellent Dr.

tdogg333
Brand New Poster

Postby tdogg333 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:11 am

hey i just wanted to say congrats on your success! I also wanted to warn you about taking tums with your meals! A lot of people believe c.diff is more easily caught by taking antacid medications or PPI's. I would really recommend another source of calcium. If you decide to keep taking tums try not to take them with meals, you need as much stomach acid as you can get :)

ncmimi4
Regular User

Postby ncmimi4 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

Thank you. You are right. That is how I got c diff, I was on heavy PPI's . Had not had antibiotics in over 3 years.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 pm

If you are miserable, you might try Zantac - not as implicated in C. diff. as much as the PPI's are.

Check with your doctor re. alternating sources of calcium, including Tums. Unfortunately, many with C diff. can't tolerate dairy foods - possible exception yogurt and maybe goat cheese. It is important to get a good source of calcium.

If you have a hiatal hernia that is causing your acid reflux, there is surgery. Of course, no surgery doesn't have risk, but I understand they are less invasive than in the past. I have a hiatal hernia/acid reflux and might have to investigate this in the future.

Congrats. on your successful procedures.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:37 pm

I was just reading this post. Are we not supposed to take tums? I didn't know that oh boy, not good news as I've been taking them to help relieve some of my c diff symptoms and in turn I may have been hurting my chances of getting rid of the c diff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:05 pm

sickofthis,
There were several reports in the past (the first one was done in the UK) implicating PPI's in C. difficle. Acid reducers (such as Zantac) were implicated - but to a much lesser degree. Tums are an acid reducer but not as much as Zantac and are also a good source of calcium. BTW, there have been more recent studies NOT implicating PPI's and acid reducers. See various Media Reports.

When I developed C. diff. all three times, I was not on a PPI.

I think Tums are fine but ask your doctor and your pharmacist.

Various posters air their views on this site. Also check out something you question.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Tums is just calcium carbonate and many people use it as a calcium supplement. It doesn't work very well for an acid stomach anyway unless it is very mild. My GI said it was ok to take them. I took some for a calcium supplement.

Return to “Success Stories”