80%?

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
chunderly
Regular Contributor

80%?

Postby chunderly » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm

I've waited the six months and feel like I'm jinxing myself when I call myself a success story.

I'm an RN. Got c diff after amox for a sinus infection back in May, took one course of flagyl, which made me feel like hell, and no relapse. I want people who might visit this site to know that it is possible to beat this beast fairly quickly.

While I may be back to normal in the bathroom, having c diff did quite a number on my sanity. Before c diff I worked in a hospital 2-3 days a week. Because of c diff, I chose to get a new job in an outpatient clinic where my exposure to germs will be less. I also elected to go back to work full time to keep my mind busy and to not go down the road of anxiety and "what if?"

I have yet to take another round of antibiotics. I hadn't needed them for years until this last spring, so I'm hoping I'll have the same luck and good health for the next long while. I'm still extra super paranoid anytime I get a cut or runny nose or any other mild symptom that could potentially turn into an infection, which drives my husband crazy. For me, The anxiety and worry have been the worst after effects of c diff.

Neither my husband nor my toddler son have needed antibiotics since I got c diff and my fingers are crossed that they didn't somehow pick it up from me.

But life is more or less back to normal, and I am grateful. I thank everyone here who offered kind words and support when I was at my most panicked. Thank you all.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Re: 80%?

Postby seekingcure » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:08 am

I'm so glad you are rid of it. The anxiety and worry seem to go along with having had c-diff. Wouldn't it be great to be able to take antibiotics again without having to worry about a relapse?

Your husband and son will probably be fine, even if they do have to take an antibiotic. My husband just finished two strong antibiotics back-to-back for pneumonia, Levaquiin and Z-Pak. I forced probiotics on him while he was taking them and he did not get c-diff, but I sure was worried he would.

Thank you so much for posting your story. It helps others to know that it can be cured, and sometimes fairly easily.
Bea

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 am

I am so happy for you. Thanks for posting back. I think all of us who have battled CDiff feel the same as you. I panic if I get a cut etc. and always worry about having to take ATX again. Everyone in my family now thinks I"m a hypochondriac. I must sound like one, I worry so much but life goes on so easily for those who never had to go through the horror of this illness. I am almost 2 yrs. past meds but I won't post a success because I still fight symptoms. I also don't want to jinx it lol. Anyway thanks again and hopefully you will never get CDiff again in your lifetime. Carol
CAROL

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Yep, I beat it pretty easily too, although I took 2 courses of flagyl and one of vancomycin. I felt kinda yucky for a while after I finished the vanco and had several scary moments that I was certain were relapses over the 6-8 months after the vanco, but all tests were negative and a couple of days of pepto always brought me back to normal again. I hear ya on the hypochondria as well. I'm the best hand-washer in town, I'm pretty sure! I've become very picky about where I will eat and how I want my food handled and put neosporin on all cuts as soon as I can, etc.

I hope you enjoy the new job and your young family!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:05 am

Glad you are doing well. Know what you mean about "jinxing yourself."

I think C. diff. leaves most of us with some form of germaphobia. I hate the "greet your neighbor" in church on Sundays as I usually wind up sitting next to someone who is coughing or sneezing. I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse and used to slyly reach inside it and wash my hands. Now, I whip the bottle out and use it in front of God and everybody. I went to a meeting at church the other day and the entire room resounded with coughs and "ah choos." After all these years, I move if I can. If I can't, I try not to let it bother me.

Glad you like you new job. We've had teachers and nurses who quit their jobs period after the stress of C. diff. It is one nasty infection that can leave you uncertain about a lot of things.

My husband seldom washes his hands. Drives me nuts. He eats a lot of junk, salts everything before he tastes it, and is healthy. Not fair!!! Let them give birth!!

Hope you continue to post. So few do, but we appreciate it, and it gives hope to others. Besides, we will miss you.

Return to “Success Stories”