Question re: probiotics after FMT

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
jlr627
Contributor

Question re: probiotics after FMT

Postby jlr627 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi guys,

Per my doctor, I started on VSL#3 this past week (5 days ago). I am taking 1 capsule per day but am about to up it to 2. I had an FMT almost 3 months ago and although I am C Diff free (Thank Goodness) and feeling a lot better, my digestion is a bit taxed. I have 2-3 BM's per day (ranging from normal to loose) and have ALOT of gas and some cramping. Trigger foods seem to run the gamut: coffee, sugar, fiber etc. Some days I am fine, other days not so much.

This may seem like an ignorant question but if I now have a powerful new set of diverse bacteria in my colon, why do I need hefty probiotics? Shouldn't my system be working better? My doc told me to stay off probiotics for the first 2 months as to not disturb the new bacteria but now she wants me on the VSL3. I would love to hear from people who have had FMT's and are now taking probiotics. Do they help? What is your experience? Perhaps the bacteria in my gut is either still too new and hasn't multiplied enough yet to break down things efficiently?

Thanks for reading and for your input!

Jen

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Question re: probiotics after FMT

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:44 am

Jen,
As you know, docs. have different opinions. Some advise no probiotics as they will not be compatible with the newly installed bacteria. Some docs suggest adding fiber (beans, whole wheats, raw veggies and fruits to your diet to feed the new bacteria. ( Start slowly and work up.)

I had a FMT in May 2012. It worked but I had IBS for awhile which gradually subsided. I still have some problems but had C.diff. for a long time and now have diverticulosis. (Probably related somewhat to aging.) My doc, advised against taking probiotics.

Think I would follow your doc's advice at least until you see if is helping.

jlr627
Contributor

Postby jlr627 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:51 am

Hey there,

Doc wants me on vsl3 so I've been on it for a month. Seems ok so far.

Jen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Jen,
Good. What works for one might not work for others. I took VSL3 twice when I had pneumonia - together with a Z-pak and Vanco. - only two times I escaped without developing C. diff. (After C. diff. I had pneumonia 5 or 6 times and UTI's on a constant basis.) C. diff. can weaken your immune system - especially when you are older. Believe you are young - so don't worry.

ncmimi4
Regular User

Postby ncmimi4 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:32 am

The Dr. that did my FT said he did not feel one way or another about probiotics. If I wanted to try them ok, if not ok. But he did tell me not to eat any gluten or dairy. I have been totally faithful to that. It is easier than you would think and most all restaurants offer a baked potato. By the way butter is ok to have. So you can get chicken or steak or seafood and be fine. Get the chicken wrap and remove the wrap or hamburger and remove the but. etc. My colon is severely damaged from the cd and he said gluten is very inflamatory to our gut. I have been told in the past by the experts on here to avoid dairy but no one has mentioned gluten.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:28 pm

I don't know about gluten; diets aimed at jettisoning it are certainly in vogue right now. My guess is that this trend will ebb due to lack of data. There is no specific food or food group to avoid in relation to c. difficile. I eat butter and dairy all the time, with no particular ill effects, excluding caloric concerns, if one has those. It's really just a matter of personal choice and your own tolerance (or lack of same) for various foods.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:34 pm

I had severe recurrent CDiff and my Dr. tested me for gluten intolerance. It isn't something that bothers all people but if it is working for you all to the good. You also must follow what your Dr. says but other Drs. would differ with his opinion. Stay well. Carol
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:42 pm

I was also tested for gluten intolerance and it was negative. Dairy I still can't tolerate. I can eat butter and a little parmesan cheese on pasta, but that's about it. I was going to try the lactose free yogurt and see what happened.

Return to “Success Stories”