2 years!!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

2 years!!

Postby JoElizabeth » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi guys.

I think a few will remember me. I think of you guys a lot and am so thankful for the support I received here. I had c.diff 2 years ago. In fact, tomorrow will be exactly 2 years since I finished Dificid and said goodbye to c.diff. I had a particularly virulent strain and developed sepsis with my c.diff and was hospitalized twice with pseudomembranous colitis. I had one relapse after my initial 2 weeks of Vanco, then went on an 8 week taper and then right to Dificid, which thankfully worked for me.

During this time, my docs were wondering why I developed c.diff and I also developed shingles during this time. After a work-up, I was found to have a Primary Immune Deficiency called Common Variable Immune Deficiency, although it isn't "common" but rather a rare illness. Basically I don't make antibodies so this might explain why I was so sick with c.diff.

I have had only one 3 day treatment with zithro since my c.diff. I took vanco with it as I will with all antibiotics in the future. No relapse with the zithro.

I have no idea what the future holds for me. I take monthly infusions of IVIG for the lack of antibodies. But I'm here to tell everyone that c.diff CAN be beat. It can be a long hard road but all of us will get over this crappy illness one way or the other. And hopefully soon, we will have a cure, a vaccine, a newer method of FMT, something.

My best wishes to all of you. Hold on when you feel like you can't. You might want to give up. Don't. You will all get better eventually. :-)

xoxox

jo

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: 2 years!!

Postby Bobbie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Congrats, Jo. You've been through a lot but always sound positive. Best wishes to you.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:58 am

Jo, So glad you continue to be CDiff free. I also am coming up on 2 yrs. in March 14. Too bad we aren't symptom free but I am feeling much better than just a few months ago. It takes so long to come back from this disease. Glad the treatments are working and you are feeling better. Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you are doing. Carol
CAROL

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Of course I remember you! I'm so glad you are doing better. Thanks for posting and continued good health to you!

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 am

Well, hello!

It is now nearly 4 years since c.diff for me and, as you guys know, it nearly did me in. I suppose these IVIG infusions are working in one way and that is to keep me off antibiotics. I have only had one 3 day Z-Pak so far (and I think I only took two. ha!)

I am still here!

I come here and read of all the people suffering and it still breaks my heart. WHY oh WHY can't someone find us a cure? Soon, I pray.

Having the hospital strain from hell, I have little faith that one dose of potent antibiotics won't throw me right back to where I was 4 years ago.

But I have had 4 years.

Much love to you all.

Jo

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:31 am

Thank you for sharing your story and keeping everyone updated, Jo!
Congratulations on the 4 year mark! It does hope to those fighting this nasty bug.

I hope you have many more years ahead without need antibiotics, being hospitalized, etc. In the meantime, hopefully someone does come up with a cure and prevention.

All the best to you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Thx, Jo. Will call. Get your books ready!

We are swamped or would have phoned. We were having our house remodeled and looking for a villa when my husband had a stroke and I developed pneumonia and asthma. He is still going through tests - still no explanation.

Glad your sisters are better. Thx for posting to encourage others.

Return to “Success Stories”