Success with FMT

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
RecoveryTruth
Brand New Poster

Success with FMT

Postby RecoveryTruth » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:49 pm

I looked up some studies in PubMed and MedLine. I can't remember the reference, but one study stated C Diff is usually only curable with more antibiotics with a chance of 30%. My I found another study which said my same GI doc did fecal transplant on his patients who had C Diff and cured them with only one transplant.

I got CDiff from taking multiple antibiotics that were tearing up my stomach when I was treating for Lyme.
I got it twice. The second time the test was negative, but I had major anorexia and could not eat at all. First time I treated with Vancomycin. That didn't work, then I tried Dicifid and that didn't cure me all the way either. I have TONS of Dificid left over too. Anyone that has to take this needs to know it's expensive and you should request it from the company.

What they don' tell you is that you will most likely have C-Diff related COLITIS afterwards. That's why it's hard to recover. It took me SO LONG to figure all of this out.
Not sure why my doctors were not just honest with me to tell me that they were not allowed to recommend a fecal transplant and that is what I probably needed, instead of taking tons of supplements daily. I was spending loads of money on antifungals, probiotics, etc. One wrong thing I would eat and I would have extreme cramping and undigested food/IBS symptoms.

I finally got desperate as my weight continued to plummet. I thought I was dying, even though my C-Diff tests were negative. I went all the way to a size zero from an eight.

SO I got desperate and researched how safe and easy it would be to do a home fecal transplant.....
I went to YOUTUBE and looked up "home fecal transplant." It was risky I felt because I did not want to run the risk of contamination. I did it successfully with my mom, but she was already screened as my doner. I was going to get a fecal transplant from my GI doc, but since my C Diff test was negative, that was not possible.
That is total BS if you ask me. FMT is in the process of being approved by the FDA for ulcerative colitis possibly. I coudlnt wait, because I was still progressively losing weight. After I did FMT with my mom 4 times, my weight loss stopped!

I was so afraid to take antibiotics because of bladder infections, tooth infections, etc. It is a living hell, being afraid that you will run the risk of being forced to take antibiotilcs and risk getting C-Diff again. With Lyme, I want antibiotics, because I want to finish my treatment that I stopped because of this problem. Now I know that I can do FMT for a while to repair my gut. Lyme treatment will probably re-flare this colitis, but I know when I'm all done, that I can put this the IBS/Colitis symptoms from it that remain in remission.

Here is the link I followed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLIndT7fuGo

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Success with FMT

Postby beth22 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:48 pm

You said your weight loss stopped, which is great. Did your IBS symptoms also stop or at least get better? I have been advised to do the FT at home too, but am waiting for my donor to be off antibiotics for 5 or 6 months. She had to take Levaquin in July, so I have to wait until December probably. I'm curious if it alleviated some of the IBS symptoms or not as that is primarily why I would be doing it.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:10 am

This is such good info for our new posters. We try to get it across that you can be over CDiff but most likely will have some symptoms of IBS. I think the new ones think they will feel fine after they finish meds and that just isn't the case. It takes many months to recover that flora and some never do get back to where they were. Everyone does get better eventually but Liz and I are difficult cases. I am coming along well finally after 18 months post Dificid but still am not completely symptom free. Thanks for posting this. I hope the people that need to read it will and they will understand that continually taking meds isn't going to help anything and is probably making you worse by knocking out more flora. Hope we all feel better and have a great weekend. Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:21 pm

RecoveryTruth,
Congrats. and thanks for the information. Well done video.

Return to “Success Stories”