You will beat this! Im 10 weeks cdiff free post FMT

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Katchel7
Contributor

You will beat this! Im 10 weeks cdiff free post FMT

Postby Katchel7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 am

Hi guys Well I will try to give you a quick run down of my cdiff journey:
Sept 2012- appendix out pumped full if ampicillin flagyl and clindamycin for 3 days and then sent home on 2 weeks augmentin forte.
October 2012-collapsed at work nausea diareah fever;
Diagnosed cdiff prescribed flagyl 10 days;
Relapsed 4 days later. Prescribed flagyl and vancomycin 10 days and 14 days.
Relapsed 1 week later. Prescribed vancomycin 14 days- relapsed 3 days later.
We are now in December- vanco taper 6 weeks. Relapsed 5 days later.
February 2013- vanco taper again for 6 weeks and stay on a maintenance dose of 2x vanco a day. My gastroentoroligist states should stay on this dose.... No chance- I refused to accept this!
In 4 months I was hospitalised twice for dehydration and low potassium.
Contacted centre for digestive diseases Sydney and booked in for fecal transplant (Fmt) in May.
Significant weight loss 10kg- strange comments from people "have you got cancer? Are you anorexic?, it's just gastro snap out if it"..... Some people are so ignorant!
May 2013- FMT cancelled as sadly I unexpectedly fall pregnant and sadly miscarry, I'm speechless!
July 2013 booked in for FMT flew to Sydney. Dr Barody is lovely and all his staff! My husband is my donor and came through with the goods on consecutive days. Day 1 colonoscopy and day 2 enema.
I didn't have any bowel movements for 2 days and since day 3 have improved every single day. I remain on a high fibre diet to feed the good bacteria in my colon and look after myself and I have one healthy bowel motion a day.
It's been 10 weeks and I'm practically back to normal apart from a couple of food intolerances being chocolate :( and dairy.i have ringing in my ears due to long term vanco and I'm hoping this will improve over time. I'm also left with the mental scars for now. I'm a frequent hand washer and am petrified I will get sick and require antibiotics and I hate hospitals- full of germs! I'm sure things will get better over time.
If I can leave you with some of my thoughts....FMT's work and i wish I had made this my first line of treatment rather than take months of vanco. Challenge your doctors and seek second opinions- Doctors aren't always right- take responsibility for your health. Have a support network to get you through this- this site was my sanity! And finally know that you WILL get better it just takes time. I'd like to thank everyone for your support and words of encouragement. You helped me through some really tough times and helped me to keep things in perspective. I'm really appreciative and sincerely thank you from the bottom of my heart. Xx

jlr627
Contributor

Re: You will beat this! Im 10 weeks cdiff free post FMT

Postby jlr627 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 am

Hi Katchel,

Congrats on your success! I am about to have an FMT on Saturday after a nasty relapse with C Diff from taking Cipro for Shighella. I truly hope this works as I just can't take it anymore. This bacteria is HORRIBLE.

Did you feel better right away after FMT? Tell me everything!

Jen

Katchel7
Contributor

Postby Katchel7 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Good luck with the FMT. I had a headache afterwards for around 3 days and a few stomach cramp- I think that's the good bacteria starting to killing off the bad guys. The thing i niticed immediately is that my bowel motions were cliser to normal than they had ever been. After that I slowly improved each day. The FMT for me was a fantastic option I have no regrets. I gad cdiff for 10 months with 5 relapses. You will be fine and don't forget FMT have a very high success rate too. All the very best. Please let me know how you go. :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:44 pm

We are glad you are doing well. Your posts illustrate what we'd like to see happen more. The poster who originally posts for help becomes one of those who help others.

Thanks for posting in Success Stories and for helping others.

rocket504
New User

Postby rocket504 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Congrats Hatchel! I'm so glad everything is good! Like you said this board was a blessing and so were the members on here. Since I had my FMT three days after you, I'm still hesitant to believed i'm over cdiff. I think after 4 years of off and on having it, has messed with my mind a little bit. But reading post like this makes me believe! Keep in touch every once in awhile and I will do the same! Good Luck with everything!

Riverfox
Brand New Poster

Postby Riverfox » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:43 am

I’m new, f-55. 27 days ago I came down with C Diff. Two days ago I was done with my antibiotics and had normal bowel movements, although my stomach is still distended . My doctor cleared me for church and I went to church and came home and prepared dinner for my family. And then the diarrhea hit me again. Five times early in the day and Once later. I have cooked a healthy meal full of fiber and ate sparingly. I am now in pain in my stomach and my back again. Could I have it again? Did I expose my family by making dinner, (clean hands)? I’m exhausted, is this normal after you are well?

Return to “Success Stories”