Vanco taper seems to have worked

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
thistleflower
New User

Vanco taper seems to have worked

Postby thistleflower » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:31 pm

I feel like I'm tempting fate posting here, but in case it's useful to anyone else--my daughter was diagnosed with c diff at about 17 months old, despite never having been on antibiotics or in the hospital. She got very sick before she was diagnosed and it was about the scariest thing I've ever experienced. She did a round of Flagyl, then two rounds of vancomycin, but still got sick again after she stopped taking the antibiotics. We were then referred to a doctor to talk about a fecal transplant, which is what I wanted for her, but he felt that due to FDA regulations he couldn't do one until she a) completed a 10-week taper/pulse off of vancomycin, and b) turned two. She did the taper, and we also gave her probiotics (florastor). She finished the taper in mid-July and has been healthy since then. There was a week or so--about a month ago now--when her poops started to concern me again, but they went back to normal. We continued the probiotics and I also feed her lots of kefir, on the theory that it can't hurt; in fact, the point where I started doing that is also when her poops stopped making me worried. We're keeping our fingers crossed that this is over for her.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco taper seems to have worked

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:18 am

I'm so happy your daughter seems to have kicked the CDiff. Sometimes it takes a taper to do it. I will also keep my fingers crossed that this is it for her and you and she never have to worry about it again., Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am

Congrats. Sounds promising. Please post again in a month or so. Praying this is a permanent "cure." Do be careful about her taking antibiotics again.

thistleflower
New User

Postby thistleflower » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:58 am

Don't worry, I could not be more paranoid about putting her on antibiotics! Ironically, we never did until she got c diff. In the past it always reoccurred within a week or so of going off vanco/flagyl, so I'm really hopeful that she's better, but I will check back in.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Finally I found an encouraging story. I'm so discouraged reading how many rounds of flagyl and vanco people take and still continue to have c diff. All the stories of how resistant this has become and the that people can die from this just scares the heck out of me.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:32 pm

sickofthis,
There are many encouraging stories in Success Stories. Unfortunately, many posters stop posting once they are "well" although we'd like them to continue to post occasionally to encourage others.

You've only had C. diff. 2 months, right? And you are young? You have the best prospect of recovery. Stop reading the "scare" stories if they bother you.

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:07 pm

Yes some of the stories of people suffering with this for many months and even years and relapses do scare me but I feel this crazy need to keep reading to be informed and educate myself. I have come to realize that alot I mean alot of Drs are not very well informed on c diff.
Last edited by sickofthis on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:29 pm

My daughter is 20 and had her 4th relapse...now on Vanco taper. We pray it will work, but she keeps catching colds and flu. She works in a mall and she seems to always be sick.

I too had to stop reading the scary threads, however, when she finally gets healed, I will definitely share her story on this site!
I'm praying for everyone here, and I think the best advice i've read is to stay positive. Those of you who have overcome this are keeping us all hoping! :)

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Yes, there are some "scare" stories on this site. I'm sure I am one. There were several extenuating circumstances in my case, however.

Remember, most people (almost 80%) respond quickly to meds., and now we have FMTs and other methods of treatment.

Return to “Success Stories”