I am cured after Flagyl and Vancocin

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
VaxilRae
New User

I am cured after Flagyl and Vancocin

Postby VaxilRae » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 am

Hi everyone,

I have been a few months free of Cdiff, my treatment was a 14 day long course of Flagyl, (500 mg 3x a day) than after a relapse Vanco (125mg 4x a day, 2 weeks) and I believe I am cured. I took a boogle load of Florastor, Kefir and other strong probiotics - none of which I have taken much for awhile and I am back to my old constipated self.

I want to wish everyone the best of the luck with curing their cdiff - I had it pretty severly according to my doctor. While I was cured after only two courses of antibiotics - I am still holding hope for all of you.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: I am cured after Flagyl and Vancocin

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:36 am

Great news. Just be careful with future antibiotic use. I had c diff the year before I was "officially" diagnosed and kicked it myself with yogurt, etc. But, the following year when I took Cipro, it came back and this time it was bad enought to treat.

ppp67
Regular Contributor

Postby ppp67 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:40 am

Great. I'm getting the exact same treatment and I'm almost 1 month free (I think). As well as all those probiotics, I've changed my diet considerably and I'm not sure it's right. I can do without coffee, booze, and too much sugar. But what did you eat in terms of meat, dairy, and bread?

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:37 pm

ppp67, diet is very individual. What agrees with one person won't agree with another. Some folks become lactose intolerant due to cdiff. Even so, some of them can eat yogurt without problems. I wasn't lactose intolerant, so I ate lots of yogurt and drank kefir. In terms of meat, I couldn't eat anything with much fat, and even lean red meat didn't agree with me very well. I ate a lot of chicken (without the skin) and salmon. Before cdiff I used to eat bread with a lot of fiber, but found after cdiff that I couldn't eat much fiber at all, for a long time. I ate white bread at first, and then worked up to whole wheat without much fiber. I found (and still find, 7 years after I recovered from cdiff) that I have to be careful with fruits and vegetables. Try adding things to your diet slowly, and see what agrees with you.

Return to “Success Stories”