FT Success Story

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
maritalynn
New User

FT Success Story

Postby maritalynn » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Mine seems to be a pretty typical tale of C-diff woe. 56 years old female, very healthy and active. I had dental surgery in December 2012; on Clindomycin (sp?) for 10 days. Became violently ill on January 4th and thought I had the flu: headache, vomiting, diarrhea, chills. Somehow I lived with this for nearly 3 weeks, thinking it would resolve. Finally I was diagnosed with C-diff. I did two rounds of Flagyl but relapsed (both times the side effects were so terrible I really thought I was going to die for the first time in my life; the Flagyl was almost worse than the C-diff). Then I did one 14 day round of Vanco and relapsed. Then I did a very long and slow Vanco taper (nearly 6 weeks) and was thrilled to be down to just one pill every three days. Thought I was cured--but then relapsed.

Early on in the process--while I was still on Flagyl--my forward-thinking GI told me about FTs and suggested I make an consultation appointment with the doctor at the local research facility/university who does them (Twin Cities, MN). His appointments were three months out, and I decided to make one with the idea that I'd cancel if the rounds of drugs worked. Soon after that appointment I relapsed--and true to what he told me the doc got me in pretty quickly for an FT.

The FT was laughably simple compared to all the anguish of the rounds of antibiotics and relapses. It was through a colonoscopy, and by far the worst part (as with most colonoscopies) was the prep. I used their donor bank. The procedure itself took all of 20 minutes, and everyone was very kind. I went out for a good meal afterward and felt great. Insurance (BCBS) covered all but @ $300.00 of the procedure.

Had a headache the next day which I attribute to the terrible prep solution as well (no doubt) to going off Vanco after being so dependent on it for many weeks. Had some stomach gurgling and cramps the first week; nothing bad, but a bit worrisome. However, I had no D.

Fast forward two months. All symptoms are gone, and no D--not once--since the FT. Completely normal stools although (interestingly, and perhaps TMI) I noted from the beginning that they don't "smell" like the "old me" smell--new bacteria, new smell I guess! The only after-effect I have noted is stomach sensitivity when I eat something sugary--ie. candy or cookies or the like. I never had this problem before and, in fact, loved sweets before. But now I've eliminated them nearly completely and this is a BIG positive change in my diet altogether. I am, in general, far more careful about my diet than ever before, and am very pleased with how I look and feel (lost 15 lbs throughout this ordeal and have been able to maintain it easily). I also added home-made kefir to my daily intake and love the stuff!

So that's my C-diff story. I wholeheartedly recommend the FT for anyone and only wish it could have been done much earlier in the ordeal.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: FT Success Story

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks so much for posting this. I wish you continued good health!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Another congrats. Thanks for posting to encourage others.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 am

Yes, thanks for coming back and posting. It encourages those suffering now that there can be a cure and you will get better. Keep us posted as to how you do in the future. Carol
CAROL

Katchel7
Contributor

Postby Katchel7 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:36 am

I'm so pleased for you! Nothing like a FT to get rid of that horrible bug. I've just had a FT 2 weeks ago and experienced the headache afterwards too.. And yes the hardest thing was the prep by fay! My Dr has suggested high fibre diet which I have been following. High fibre helps good bacteria grow and survive. Well once again congrats on a clear bill of health and I hope to post my success story soon :)

maritalynn
New User

Postby maritalynn » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for your responses, and the best of luck to you Katchel! My FT doc said that in his (now long) experience of doing FT's, a small percentage do relapse. However, a second FT virtually always works for them. So no one should despair if the first FT doesn't work; just go for another..

I also learned from this experience to be very pro-active in my medical care. I think anyone with C-diff should immediately find an FT doctor and make an initial appointment. Yes, you will still most likely have to do the usual rounds of antibiotics, but you will have made yourself known to the doctor and you will have a plan going forward if you continue the pattern of relapses.

jlr627
Contributor

Postby jlr627 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:46 pm

All great stuff. I had my FMT 48 hours again. Feeling pretty good - have to get used to things lol. Indefinitely feel a little diffferent / no more c diff pain I think. Just a sensitive stomachs and some gurgles here and there with too fibrous foods

Did that happen to any of you?

maritalynn
New User

Postby maritalynn » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:29 am

Although I never once had the big "D" after the FT, I did experience a week or more of gurgling and left side pain before these symptoms disappeared completely. It wasn't as bad as before the FT, but enough to be paranoid that that FT "didn't work." For a couple months afterward I also experienced a bit of a stomach upset when I ate certain foods, most notably sugary things. I also could not drink alcohol for quite awhile. In the follow up appointment my gastro. said some food issues were completely normal for awhile after the FT as the intestines heal. Slowly these symptoms disappeared too. Today I'm nearly 5 months past the FT, eat everything, and feel fabulous. Good luck, and I'm sure you will be just fine!

Return to “Success Stories”