Cured by Bacillus Coagulans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We spend a lot of time talking about the bad news in this discussion group - here's the spot for the good news. If you've had c-diff and are now well, please tell us about it here.
Cathy22
New User

Cured by Bacillus Coagulans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Cathy22 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:35 pm

It has been over 7 months now, and I am completely back to normal!

This has been a godsend for me!

I went to many different doctors and none of them helped, more antibiotics that just made the problem worse.

I did round after round of flagyl, and I was horrified at the thought of a fecal transplant.

Last year doing much research I came across a post here about someone that made used Bacillus Coagulans pills to ferment milk and reported a cure.

I am following up on this to say it does work.

Before bed each night, I emptied one pill into a glass and filled it 1/4 full of milk and swirled it around until it mixed up the powder, and left it in my microwave overnight. The microwave was off, just to keep anything from getting into it.

In the morning I used it in my cereal.

I did this till the bottle of pills ran out.

Seven months later I am still symptom free.

This needs to be common knowledge here on this board, and the medical community at large.

This could save many lives.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cured by Bacillus Coagulans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:10 am

I've never seen bacillus coagulans sold on its own. What brand did you get and where did you get it?

Cathy22
New User

Postby Cathy22 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 am

Bacillus Coagulans was previously called Lactobacillus Sporogenes.

The brand I used was made by Thorne Research, off amazon.com.

I hope this helps you and other people here on this forum, this needs to be common knowledge it is so effective.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:56 pm

Bacillus coagulans is the bacterium found in Sustenex, which is widely available throughout the USA. Here's an interesting research article:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3484022/

The spoiled milk thing might not be necessary.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:05 pm

That is really interesting because my mother had c diff with a couple of relapses when she was at the rehab facility for a year about 6 years ago. That is where I got it. When she got home, we started her on a probiotic by Digestive Advantage which she still takes. The main ingredient is bacillus coagulans. This year, for the first time, she needed to take antibiotics. In two months time period she was on 3 or 4 courses for a recurring UTI. We thought for sure she would relapse with the c diff. She did get D, it was tested more than once, but not c diff. When she stopped the antibiotics, the D resolved. She continued to take the Digestive Advantage the whole time.

Another interesting thing is that my mom, unlike me, can eat most everything. I am going to try this. Maybe it will help me as well. She takes the "gas defense" formula, because she does have a lot of gas, but she is bedridden and can't move around, so that accounts for part of it. I figure it is worth a try for me. I don't tolerate most probiotics well, but she did not do well on either Align or Culturelle and neither do I. Yet, this formula seems to agree.

Thanks for the info.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Your personal stories are interesting enough to warrant a trial of Bacillus Coagulans (if I can tolerate it, I almost think I am starting to react to probiotics like they were infectious, and maybe even get a low grade temp, but not totally sure yet). However, the research article is not very convincing - check out figure 2. 89 % of the mice who got the C. diff, vancomycin, and B. coagulans still had toxins A and B on day 17. But their stools were more formed than the mice who were treated only with vancomyin. Too bad the experimenters didn't run the experiment longer - maybe it would have shown clearing of the toxins from the mice treated with B. coagulans. That would be a more convincing result .

Cathy22
New User

Postby Cathy22 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Actually it tastes just like normal milk, except warm. I left mine out to ferment for about 8 hours each night with no noticeable change in taste. It was not sour.

The logic behind this is that the Bacillus Coagulans bacteria would culture and you would get a dose millions of times greater than from a single pill.

For those that are lactose intolerant I would assume soy, almond or rice milk would work as well.

I struggled with C. Diff for many years and it was a godsend to find this information.

I can't believe this isn't standard treatment during courses of antibiotics.

> The spoiled milk thing might not be necessary.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:54 pm

I am glad you found something that helped you, Cathy. Will post the info. in Treatments later so it doesn't get "lost in the cracks" of our many posts.

I've known about C.diff. for many years but have never heard of bacillus Coagulans. Remember, everyone, I'd check this out with your doc. first. And, the usual caveat: "this site doesn't endorse or promote any drug or procedure as it isn't a medical site." But we report on what worked for posters. "Whatever does it for you" is worth a try - but with reservations and medical advice because they just aren't any miracle cures when it comes to C. diff. Each person has to find what works for her/him - preferably under medical supervision.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:19 pm

I just noticed that the authors of the research paper above work for the company that makes Sustenex (mentioned above as one of the commonly available sources of Bacillus Coagulans).

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:36 pm

One reason to question any "miracle" treatment. R.G. Good eye!! Always question why/what a business/person is selling. Will check this new treatment out with a C. diff. expert. Also, some "cures" are just a coincidence. Without "real" trials, nothing can be labeled a "cure" but can see why "if it can't hurt, might help" people who are desperate might want to try it. However, I would always check with a doc./pharmacist first and do some research.

Don't give up on the FMT's. Think they will be still be available by experienced doctors who have done them before. It does sound like a lot more paperwork is involved, but the larger institutions love their paperwork (even if on a computer) anyway. They have a high cure rate for most.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:57 am

Sustenex and the Digestive Advantage are normal probiotics that you get at the drugstore just like Culturelle and Align or acidophilus. Some people say primadophilus reuteri helped them, others were helped by others. I know that some probiotics are tolerated better for some people than others. Always check with your doctor if he/she wants you to take probiotics, but if there is no objection, Sustenex and Digestive Advantage are just another brand to try. I have some here at home for when my mom runs out and I am going to try it. I did not even realize that they contained the bacillus coagulans. My mom does very well with them and she is 92. I will still continue to take my small amount of VSL#3, as that is what I tolerate and just add a little of the Digestive Advantage to it, as VSL#3 doesn't contain the bacillus coagulans. And if the gas relief works, so much the better. It has cellulose in it, which helps to break down foods I guess. Will give it a try as well as the oatmeal someone else recommended.

Cathy22
New User

Postby Cathy22 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 am

> they just aren't any miracle cures when it comes to C. diff.

I would have to disagree with this, for over a year I battled with severe C. Diff till research on various probiotic strains lead me here where one user reported a cure from L. sporogenes aka bacillus coagulans.

Up to this point nothing helped, round after round of flagyl, yogurt, kefir, various probiotics, nothing helped.

Bacillus Coagulans cultured milk actually had a pretty immediate effect for me, within 10 days I was back to normal, but I used the entire bottle up just to be sure.

This isn't placebo.

> Always question why/what a business/person is selling.

I am slightly offended by this, I am not selling anything, nor do I stand to profit in any way.

I just wanted to help others who are suffering with C Diff. That is my only motivation.

There are other manufactures of bacillus coagulans, I am sure any one of those will work.

> Also, some "cures" are just a coincidence.

No in my case there was no coincidence, it was a pretty dramatic shift for me.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:27 pm

Wasn't "insulting" you. We have to post this as we've had many "scams." Glad this worked for youl

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:04 pm

Don't automatically discount a study just because the manufacturer funded the research. Soaking it in milk might help the spores to begin the germination process, but that would likely just make the germinated cells more susceptible to stomach acid. i have a degree in microbiology but know nothing about B coagulens in particular. i would worry about what else might enjoy those 8 hours of room temperature exposure to the milk though. staph food poisoning isn't fun, and we all have staph all over us.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Well, I'm going to try the probiotic. I don't like the idea of letting it sit in milk. I am lactose intolerant now and I don't know if it would work with rice milk, but I am just going to take the pill form like my mom does.

Cathy22 - I don't think Bobbie was referring you you about selling anything - I think she was referring to the report about the research that amyc posted that was done by Sustenex. But, yes, manufacturer's do fund research and grants. Dr. Pimentel, who did research for SIBO patients using Xifaxan to treat was funded in part by the manufacturer for Xifaxan. That doesn't mean that the medication did not work. In fact, it did help me before.

Return to “Success Stories”